PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
03-24-2008, 9:19 AM
24 Mar 2008
Good Morning....

I hope that each of you had a good Easter Day with family and friends. I never did get to see the Easter Bunny, but I did play bass for all 3 Sunday morning Easter services. I was "whooped" after that, came home ate a wonderful Easter dinner that the LOML spent most of Saturday cooking and then it was time for a most deserved nap. ;)

Went back to work at the day job on Friday of last week after spending a week locked inside the house with all 6 of us being sick at one time or another. Needless to say, I'm glad that is over with. :D

I sure hope to get back to woodworking sometime this week.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Greg Hines, MD
03-24-2008, 9:23 AM
Not much. Did some Geo caching on Sunday, and spread 20 yards of mulch on the yard. Did finally decide on a set of Norton Stones, and a Veritas Mark II honing jig, and cannot wait to get things set up for getting the planes sharper than I have been able to.

Doc

Ken Fitzgerald
03-24-2008, 9:27 AM
Our family is getting so spead out....married etc....so we had our Easter gathering on Saturday so kids, grandkids and great-grandkids could go to the ILs on Sunday.

Sunday moved stuff in the shop. Did some clean up. Continued working on getting the scms and table saw hooked up to the DC.

Joel Sauder dropped by for a quick visit and bless his heart....brought a huge beautiful rounded out walnut bowl blank.

Jim Becker
Well, I didn't get in the shop, but I did get a lot of work done. Interrupted only by the YMCA karate run on Saturday, I spent Friday night, Saturday and a chunk of Sunday getting the laundry cabinets installed in the addition. While I've been custom building most things, this particular room got cabinets and hardware from Ikea. They "won" over stock cabinets from the Internet and some custom cabinets from my GC's cabinetmaker both in cost and speed. Frankly, they are pretty good cabinets and have top of the line Blum hardware as standard. I or a cabinet maker would spend more time carefully matching the material for doors and drawer fronts, but outside of that...I'm pleased. And it's done....pics below. (ORB pulls to match the rest in the house are on order from Lee Valley and should be here in a few days)

Related to that, I always wanted a pull-out ironing board in this space and rather than having to go third party, Ikea had that option available, too. A two-tube T8 fixture from the 'borg and that room is ready for the appliances that are arriving this coming Saturday. (Plumber puts the overflow pan for the washer in today) One other task I got completed was extending the trench for the rain-water system another 50' from the house. This week I'll get the top of the shelving unit in the master bath toilet room and a few other small things when I'm not working the "day job".

84826 84827

Roger Warford
We had a quiet family Easter. Worked in the nursery at Church during the first service, attended the second service. Came home and hid eggs for the kids. They enjoyed that! My oldest (4), swears she saw "bunny fur" on our front porch. She was excited about that - she figures it's from the Easter Bunny!

Then I was able to do a little wiring on my shop while the kids played outside. I completed my lighting Saturday and Sunday I was able to install most of my 20amp outlets. A few more circuits and maybe I'll actually be able to make some sawdust!

Dennis, sorry to hear that everyone has been sick. We had all five of us sick for a few days a week or two ago - that's no fun at all! Glad the weather is nice enough that we can get outside now - we all need it!

Mike Heidrick
03-24-2008, 9:38 AM
Jim that ironing board setup is awesome!

Ken, send or post pics of the scms DC hookup please. I need to do that.

Had two different easter vists with both sides of the family this weekend.

Got in the shop and built a tapered leg side table for my Daughter for Easter and made some sawdust. Really had a good time. Staying home from work and playing again today.

Also rented a few movies - watched I am legend, American Gangster, and still have to watch Bee Movie, Beowulf and Gone Baby Gone.

Ben Cadotte
03-24-2008, 9:58 AM
Didn't get anything done. In Lake Charles for work and company that is doing the work for us, invited us to Easter Brunch. We were there and after 10 min of waiting after we were supposed to meet. The guy calls and said his company card was turned off so he could not take us out. :rolleyes: Guess this is not the first time this rep has done something like this. By the time we were done waiting the line was so long we all decided to go back to the hotel.

Found some drawer slides for good price on auction sight. Need about 40 pairs for current and future plans.

Art Mulder
03-24-2008, 10:01 AM
...and that room is ready for the appliances that are arriving this coming Saturday.

Whoo-Hoo, Jim. Candy-Apple red washer+dryer ...

Everyone is going to be fighting over doing wash.

(Think about it. Video games were invented over 30 years ago, and became popular household gizmos 25 years ago... So why did it take so long for the Laundry industry to figure this out and add flashing electronic lights and electronic beeps to their washing machines? ---- we also recently got a new LG washer/dryer set which is loaded with LEDs, has an LCD display panel, and plays a lively beep-BOOP-bop-bing tune when you turn it on, or to signal end of cycle. The kids were actually ARGUING about it being their turn to do laundry. I know, it'll wear off soon...)

-----

I started my weekend on Good Friday -- holiday up here -- taking a road trip with a buddy where we both picked up some 5/4 select-n-better red oak from a guy who had too much on his hands. What do you think, was $1.50 a board foot a decent price... ;)

Also cleaned up in the shop a bit, to fit in some of this new lumber, and to make space to start my next project which is a twin of the tall dresser I made last year (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=52208) for #1 son. This one will be for #2 son. And got started milling some cherry for the side panel rail/stile.

Friday morning I also put on a 2nd coat of BLO of a small end-table that I have been working on, and this morning, after 3 days of curing, I wiped on the first coat of minwax poly (it's going to get a wet glass on it sooner or later, so Poly was called for)

and that's all for now...

Happy Easter Monday!

Raymond Fries
03-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Got my dust collector hooked up and did some testing with a few tools.

Oh boy - what a difference.

Going back today to get a few more fittings to finish the connections and then its gonna be cut time. :D

Rick Malloy
03-24-2008, 10:23 AM
My wife decided it was time for a greenhouse last week, so the lumber was ordered and delivered. Leveled the site and got some 4x6s staked into the ground with rebar, then started on the greenhouse Friday night. Sunday evening she had an 8x12 greenhouse and a very tired husband.:)

Now I have to put in benches and shelves where she wants them. Waiting on that part of the design from the boss.:)

alex grams
03-24-2008, 10:25 AM
-added outlets in garage
-put screen door in at the back door
-installed new water heater in attic (thanks to cooler weather)
-landscaping
-tried to do some work on milling some rough lumber, realized how badly i need a jointer, and am now mulling pulling the trigger on a GO490.

Jim Becker
03-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Everyone is going to be fighting over doing wash...the kids were actually ARGUING about it being their turn to do laundry...

I should be so lucky...

Jim Broestler
03-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Started building the tambour folding table from a recent WWJ article. Got the apron pieces and legs done. When finished it will make a nice little table for my daughter to have her tea parties on with all her stuffed animals, and will store nicely, which is good considering the size of her room and how much stuff she's got in there already.

Also got my custom router top and mounting plate from Woodpecker Friday. Yay! Been waiting over a month for it, so I'm psyched. Now I just need to figure out the best way to mount it. Then buy the router. I guess that's kinda important...

Charles P. Wright
03-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Well, I didn't get in the shop, but I did get a lot of work done. Interrupted only by the YMCA karate run on Saturday, I spent Friday night, Saturday and a chunk of Sunday getting the laundry cabinets installed in the addition. While I've been custom building most things, this particular room got cabinets and hardware from Ikea. They "won" over stock cabinets from the Internet and some custom cabinets from my GC's cabinetmaker both in cost and speed. Frankly, they are pretty good cabinets and have top of the line Blum hardware as standard. I or a cabinet maker would spend more time carefully matching the material for doors and drawer fronts, but outside of that...I'm pleased. And it's done....pics below. (ORB pulls to match the rest in the house are on order from Lee Valley and should be here in a few days)
Jim,

Very nice cabinets; our house has mostly Ikea furniture. I only realized a few weeks ago that all have the Blum adjustable hinges. It isn't quite cheaper to buy Ikea doors and throw out the door just to get the hinges, but the thought did cross my mind. :)

I spent my weekend assembling an Ikea storage unit. One thing that I found interesting is that instead of being made of particle board, some of the shelves are actually made of a torsion box with two laminates and cardboard in the middle. The edges are still particle board, but not the center. They still seem plenty strong; but it still is funny to realize that you have card board furniture.

Charles

Jim Becker
03-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Charles, the stuff from Ikea runs the gamut from low-end on up. I have some things in the house that have been around since the late 1980s including two leather love seats and a matching chair. My office furniture, too. The dresser I bought for my older daughter last fall is solid pine, frame and panel, but engineered to be knock down. On the cabinets, I'm almost inclined to buy cabinet boxes from them for any future built-ins as I can't make them much better or for even close to the money. (similar quality and less money than CabParts, I believe, too) I'd rather put my time and money into building doors and face frames and leaving more time for building solid-stock free-standing furniture projects on my "list" that is backed up a mile right now...

But this is a weekend accomplishments thread, so I apologize for the digression....

Katherine Bercaw
03-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Friday: baked 20 loaves of bread
Saturday: cooked the rest of dinner for 100 (went home, had rum :)
Sunday: Fell asleep at in-laws easter dinner

Steve Clardy
03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Processed some doors parts for 81 doors on this huge job I am doing.

I'm already tired of doing doors.
Have another 20 panels to glue up today.

Matt Meiser
03-26-2008, 12:21 AM
My weekend is just coming to a close. No out-of-town family was coming, so we decided to make Easter a long weekend away and took the train to Chicago early Saturday morning. But first we went to bed Friday night with heavy snow falling and awoke to 10" of new fallen snow and 2+ foot drifts. Snow was drifted against the entry door of my shop almost to the door knob. I spent over an an hour plowing us out, including plowing our road all the way out to the cross road 1/4 mile away because there was no way we were getting out otherwise. We left for the usually 1/2 hour trip to the train station 2 hours before our train--and arrived with 20 minutes to spare as the plowed freeways were even slicker than the back roads since the ice underneath was uncovered.

The only woodworking-related activity in Chicago was checking out the rather disappointing furniture collection at the art museum and checking out a furniture gallery called Sawbridge Studios (http://www.sawbridge.com/) that was pretty inspiring. Other than that it was State St., Michigan Ave, and the various museums.

Tonight we returned home and about all the snow that is left is the piles left from plowing. But apparently we set a new record for snowfall in a single season by several inches. And still a few weeks of potential snow left.