PDA

View Full Version : Zero clearance insert/Band Saw chatter

alex grams
03-24-2008, 8:45 AM
While two relatively unrelated items, I figured I would still make a single thread to get advice:

First: I have the 513x2 band saw, and set all bearings with the appropriate gaps, but when i turn it on, i still get a small metal/metal clatter at the saw guide bearings (difficult to tell if it is at the upper or lower). I thought i was getting contact somewhere, so i backed all of the bearings off and turned it on to see if i got the sound, and i still do. I adjusted the tracking so that the blade is parallel to the side bearings (it had a slight drift initially, and i figured it was dragging on the back end). But i still get the clatter. Thoughts, is this normal?

Second: I put a 0 clearance insert on my tablesaw, and i get a large amount of noise from it when i run the blade (basically the sides dragging on the insert. Is this normal, or something i should expect? I have checked the blade to make sure it is 90deg to the table. Thoughts, is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Jason Beam
03-24-2008, 11:55 AM
First: I have the 513x2 band saw, and set all bearings with the appropriate gaps, but when i turn it on, i still get a small metal/metal clatter at the saw guide bearings (difficult to tell if it is at the upper or lower). I thought i was getting contact somewhere, so i backed all of the bearings off and turned it on to see if i got the sound, and i still do. I adjusted the tracking so that the blade is parallel to the side bearings (it had a slight drift initially, and i figured it was dragging on the back end). But i still get the clatter. Thoughts, is this normal?

No it's not normal at all. My first thought is to check the upper wheel. I have seen some cases where a blade might be made a little too long and the upper wheel would rub a little bit on the metal housing.

Try taking the blade off completely and running it. That will likely isolate which wheel is involved. If it's still doing it with the blade off, yer upper wheel is fine and the problem is in the drive train somewhere. Maybe a pully wobbles against something? *shrug*

Incremental diagnosis is about all the advice I can think of. Gradually eliminate parts as you can until you find the one that makes it stop.

Second: I put a 0 clearance insert on my tablesaw, and i get a large amount of noise from it when i run the blade (basically the sides dragging on the insert. Is this normal, or something i should expect? I have checked the blade to make sure it is 90deg to the table. Thoughts, is this normal?

Normal? Probably. Correct? I'm not so sure. The reason I say that is because if your blade is constantly tracking the same path as it spins, you should only hear a slight sound of the air slicing effect, not so much material against material sounds.

There are generally two causes: Insert slop and blade runout. The former being the easiest to fix. If your insert is able to wiggle around, it'll likely make the noise you're hearing because the vibration will tend to make it jiggle a little. Tightening that fit should help. The trick will be tightening it without widening your slot much.

The second is blade runout. Hopefully this isn't the case, but if the blade isn't tracking the exact same path (within say ... 3-5 thousandths of an inch), it could make that noise, too. Lotsa folks live with this, if it turns out they have runout. It's a little noisier, but it can be a lot of work to fix. Your first line of defense is to make sure there isn't a lick of dust between the blade and either mounting surface (washers). That's about where the cheap fixes end, though. After that you've got bearings and trunions and arbors and ... ick. Some folks have decent luck with one of those big stabilizer washers, too. Hopefully this isn't the case and your insert is just wiggling. If it is and it isn't TOO far out, most folks just live with it and call it good. You likely won't suffer too badly with it - worst i can think of is a slightly rougher edge when ripping.

alex grams
03-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks. I will do some diagnosis on the items today and see what i can come up with. I was worried this thread had fallen to page 2 to never be seen again.

Mike Heidrick
03-24-2008, 1:01 PM
PM me your email address and I will forward you the user group made MM bandsaw manual. It has some good advice about tuning up a bandsaw. Might be worth a look.

James Hart
03-24-2008, 1:07 PM
There have been a couple of threads in the past few months re ZCI's being very noisy. I got several good suggestions for fixing it from this group. Seems this happens even when there is no run out and the insert is properly fit. (Although I'm sure those other things can cause it too.)

Putting a few pieces of duct tape on the back fixed it almost completely. Deadens the vibration.

Jim