PDA

View Full Version : laserkerf opinions?

Lynn Kasdorf
03-22-2004, 8:53 PM
At the recent woodworking show I was hoping to see a laserkerf in person, but all they had were three other brands, including the one that bolts onto the blade arbor.

Despite its various drawbacks, I liked it because the line was very sharp and not fuzzy, but the thing was too far off- like 1/16" to the left of the left edge of the kerf. And not adjustable. Parallax error is a prob too. Just a bad concept. I returned it. Two other brands were there that I didn't care for.

The laserkerf seems like a winner, although the line is bound to be fuzzy- all laser light is- our eyes are not used to single wavelength light and don't know what to make of it.

I have a raft of trim to cut and was thinking of ordering a laserkerf.

Opinions?

Tony Sade
03-22-2004, 8:56 PM
I bought one, Lyn, and found it difficult to install so that it lined up correctly. It adjusts on 2 axis, and needs to adjust on 3. Quite frankly, I still wind up just bringing down the blade to the line and cutting, or using a stop for repetitive cuts.

BTW-I put mine on a slider-Makita 1013. It seems particularly unsuited for this setup. The farther away you pull the slider, the fainter, and less accurate the light.

I'd save the money and use it on something else. My $.02.

Jim Becker
03-22-2004, 9:26 PM
About the only laser setup I'd consider buying is the PC or Delta miter saw with the integral dual laser line. (Hitachi also has one, but I don't know if it does both sides of the blade automatically) I haven't seen an aftermarket unit yet that I would trust. That being said, I'm kinda with Tony on this...it's pretty easy just to touch the stationary blade to the line and then cut.

Ted Shrader
03-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Lynn -

I think Tony's comments are pretty good. Set up a stop on your fence and chop away.

The idea of using a laser is great in many applications. This one still needs refining.

Ted

Dennis Peacock
03-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Lynn,

I would stay away from the laser adapter stuff.....If you want a true laser setup....then the Delta Twin-Laser is the way to go, or the Makita or even the Hitachi.....I have read reviews on many of these options and I have used the Hitachi.....I really liked the Hitachi....

Mac McAtee
03-23-2004, 11:49 AM
I bought a Laserkerf for a radial arm saw that was passed on to me from my father-in-laws workshop. Bought it about 6 weeks ago. Installed it and this past weekend was the first time I used it for a project as opposed to test cuts.

I had no problems with it at all. It worked just as it was intended to work. I hit the line right on every time I made a cut. I will allow that a laser light beam is different from a standard light beam. But, your eyes and brain can sort out the difference. I was able to even split a pencil line intentionally, not by accident, once I had made two cuts.

It is accurate and made cutting much more efficent, not needing to test the cut every time. I would reccomend it highly.

Byron Trantham
03-23-2004, 1:07 PM
Lynn, I bought one of those that mount on the arbor. Even if the thing worked perfectly, it works on one side only! I don't know about you but I cut from both sides. I took it off. I use stops and my eyeball!

Walt Pater
03-23-2004, 7:15 PM
Lynn, have you considered a making/buying a zero-clearance insert for the deck of your chopsaw? That really helps me line up cuts quickly.

Dan Stuewe
03-23-2004, 8:10 PM
Maybe I'm just showing my ignorance or lack of skill, but when I was installing crown and chair rails in my house, I would have loved to have a laser on my CMS! I don't see the great advantage when cutting flat stock, but for curvy moulding where you can mark one point but have no idea where the teeth of the saw will touch the moulding when lining up (especially on miters)...that's where a laser would be invaluable (please, if you know how to nail this without a laser, please pass it on).

As for which aftermarket one, I don't have an opinion, but I thought someone had a real thorough write up on one that mounts behind the blade several months ago. Check the archives.

Derek Arita
03-23-2004, 8:13 PM
I have one on a Makita 12" slider. It works well. The advantage to this laser is that it is as wide as the kerf, rather than a single line on one side or the other. I use it and like it. It was easy to install and adjust. The only problem I have with it is that the laser could be brighter. I can only use the laser indoors, but that's the only place I use this saw, so that's no big deal for me.

Victor Di Paglia
09-06-2005, 9:30 PM
I bought a laserkerf for my DeWalt DW708 and I've never been more disappointed with something in my life. I mounted it exactly as they tell you in the instructions; i.e., behind the blade on the aluminum housing. Within a day, the line was so broken up I could barely tell what it was telling me. I called Laserkerf and they said I have to clean the lens with a Q-Tip whenever it's clogged. I did this and it still looked terrible. I called again and they replaced it. I mounted the second one, and the result was exactly the same. In my opinion, this product is utter garbage and I would not recommend it to anyone who is a serious woodworker.

John Gregory
09-07-2005, 11:00 AM
I bought this one (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=170507-281-3061001&category=15&lpage=none&bc=c) All though not perfect. Neither are my skills. I just think it adds a little benefit to the use of my saw. The first one I got was a little off, and Irwin replaced it. Irwin gives you a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, so try it and and if disappointed, send it back.

John

John Bush
09-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Hi Lynn,
I have the Laserkerf on my DW708 and it has worked well for me. It was easy to install and I haven't had any problems with adjustments. I think it really helps save time and makes the stuff I do more efficient, so I'm pleased with it. I've had some real "pros" working in my shop and they all seemed to think their old style techniques were better and the laser was not a big help to them,so oppinions are all over the map. I think it's worth the investment. Good luck, John.

Mike Vermeil
09-07-2005, 7:02 PM
I have the Hitachi 10" SCMS w/ integral laser & love it. I use my SCMS all the time, and before that used my old CMS without laser almost as much. The laser is a major improvment in my opinion, and it would be difficult to live without one now.

I haven't used the Delta with dual lasers, but I can imagine it leverages the benefits of laser tracking that much more. In fact, if I ever need another SCMS, I'll proabably buy a dual laser model.