PDA

View Full Version : 10" compound miter saws

Brian Keith
03-24-2008, 1:43 AM
Looking to purchase one and am curious to what other members are using? Spend around $200-$250. Thanks

Bob Slater
03-24-2008, 5:48 AM
I am very happy with my Makita. It is very well designed and has held up well. . Cost more than $250 though.

glenn bradley
03-24-2008, 8:12 AM
If you're talking just CMS, my DW703 was inexpensive and has proven to be a real little workhorse. Lowes has a Hitachi on sale right now. Several are under $200.

Prashun Patel
03-24-2008, 8:13 AM
There's a decent Hitachi for that price. Lots of discounts on ebay and c's list.

Ken Frohnert
03-25-2008, 7:19 AM
I bought a Dewalt 10" from HD about 10 years ago. I have used the heck out of it building sheds and a 2 car garage. My dad and I never owned one prior to this one but we use the thing all the time. In fact I just found a small old table about 24"x36" and set it up on that last weekend to I don't have to keep dragging it off the self and setting it up. I would recommend the Dewalt.

Eventually, I would like to go to a 12" SCMS for the increased width cuttng capability.

Mike Heidrick
03-25-2008, 8:05 AM
Hitachi refurbs are fairly inexpensive but you do pay for shipping. $140-$160 buys you a new one from amazon, some with a laser if you like those. I use the 12" slider and it is great.

Prashun Patel
03-25-2008, 9:14 AM
Eventually, I would like to go to a 12" SCMS for the increased width cuttng capability.

A 12" SCMS would certainly be a luxury, but for my money I'd rather invest in a good xcut guide for a csaw or a sled for a tsaw. For the extra few " of xcut capacity, the 12" slider just takes up too much space.

Adam Cavaliere
03-25-2008, 9:42 AM
I have a ridgid with the built in laser. The saw itself is pretty nice. I replaced the blade with an 80 tooth.

I know you didn't ask too much about lazer option on these things, but I thought I would bring it up.

If I had to do it all over again, I think I'd actually look at a Skil. I just saw one on DIY that has a lazer that turns on when you get near the machine. You don't have to be running the blade to see the lazer on the wood. Along with that it is a dual lazer that pretty much goes on either side of the kerf. That means you really have an idea of what is going to be cut and what isn't.

Bond Turner
03-25-2008, 8:01 PM
I love my Bosch, though it is a 12". I would recomend spending the extra dollars for an electric brake. It makes a great difference and is safer. I went through 2 12" Dewalts in 3 months. I don't know if I just got bad apples or if that company is not what it used to be. I have had the Bosch for well over a year and a half and used it for an addition, basement finish, wood flooring, deck addition and finsish work without a htch. I hook it up to my shopvac indoors and dust collection is exceptional, if that is a consideration for you. I would also recommend the Diablo blades. They are very accurate out of the box and stay that way.

Hope this helps.

Jim O'Dell
03-25-2008, 8:25 PM
Check the Lowes in your area. I lucked into the Hitachi 10" compound sliding miter saw for 210.00 plus tax. It is now a non stock item for them, and different stores decide if they are going to blow them out or not. Jim.

matt dumney
03-25-2008, 8:37 PM
ridgid 12"

nice tool

Rich Engelhardt
03-26-2008, 5:56 AM
Hello,
DeWalt 703 and a Ryobi (basic no frills - $59.00 Black Friday sale item).
The Ryobi's been a pleasant surprise & a real work horse. I pressed it into use when my 10" Craftsman departed this Earth - right in the middle of a rehab.:rolleyes:

I looked at a bunch of different models prior to buying the DeWalt.
The 703 had a good reputation for solid dependability. It was also the one that had exactly what I wanted - no laser, single bevel, 10", non-slider.

I went 10" non-slider for the reasons Shawn pointed out - I consider both a "luxury" I can't afford.

I'm also a bit disenchanted with lasers. The Craftsman 10" had one. Despite being a piece of junk in the end, before it "self destructed" (I picked it up by the carry handle to move it & the handle separated from the motor housing), it was a very decent saw.
When I had to resort to the Ryobi, sans laser, to finish the job, I had to use stop blocks. I quickly found that the stop blocks simply did a better job of keeping things accurate than using the laser.

Adam Cavaliere
03-26-2008, 10:00 AM
The Diablo blades are wonderful - highly recommend to get one!

Larry Richardson
03-26-2008, 1:57 PM
I recently retired my ol' Craftsman due to some fence alignment problems.
Consumer Reports rated the Rigid 10" highly, along with some other reviews, so I bought that. On "sale" right now for about $160, so nice price point.

Almost went with a DeWalt, but the Rigid had all I needed and more. The 2.5 dust port actually works quite well, and the 4" fence will be nice for some Crown work soon.

It has a laser, but on the side of the blade. It is adjustable.
Larry