PDA

View Full Version : festool kapex on atoh...

Greg Cuetara
03-23-2008, 11:48 PM
I am just catching up on the this old house hour from saturday. Tom was using the festool kapex to cut some crown molding. Impressive little machine...well not so little. Not something that will ever be in my shop but for those that can afford it it will be a great addition.

Greg

Mike Spanbauer
03-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I saw that too. I'm certain that Festool comped a few units to the most visible programs. It is a well engineed saw, no doubt. Of course, it will cost $300 more than I paid for my PM66... One of the Festool tools, I'll be able to easily resist within my shop environment.

However, used in the manner that Tommy was (clients house) I wouldn't hesitate as dust collection on site is almost impossible and when weather factors in... you can't go outside to get rid of the dust.

mike

Peter Quinn
03-24-2008, 12:21 PM
There's only one solution to the Kapex issue, I have to start working for wealthier clients with bigger budgets!

How would I explain it to my regular clients? "I'm sorry but I will need to run a complete financial and credit history on you to see if you can afford to help pay for part of my new SCMS."

Bigger question is how would I explain the purchase to my wife? "I know it was nice having two kidneys, honey, but I've sold one of yours, and they are coming to pick it up today!"

My mother needs crown molding installed in her new living room, perhaps she's a potential financier. She doesn't want any dust on her new carpet and furniture. "Well Mom, I can do the crown for you cheap, but when you go the fancy funeral is out, as we will be spending that money on a Kapex. I see a pine box in the back 40 in your future!"

People have to make sacrifices in pursuit of craftsmanship.

Julian Wong
03-24-2008, 2:52 PM
I am just catching up on the this old house hour from saturday. Tom was using the festool kapex to cut some crown molding. Impressive little machine...well not so little. Not something that will ever be in my shop but for those that can afford it it will be a great addition.

Greg

I saw that episode too but was wondering an issue with the saw. Probably those who have had experiece with the Kapex can chime in. Yes, it has nt been officially released yet, but there are testers out there.... :p

When Tom or the house owner was cuting the crown moulding, I noticed that the motor sound changed quite a bit, probably the motor/blade slowing down because of the load? Is this supposed to happen with the kapex?

Thought it was su[posed to be a powerful cutter ;)

Rob Wright
03-24-2008, 3:44 PM
The sound that you heard was the Pulse-Width-Modulation (PWM) keeping the saw at a constant speed while not under load. It is my understanding that it pulses and the sounds that are heard is from the gears. I have operated the Kapex and the noise is very similiar to the sound that is heard on a TS55 or TS75 plunge saw that Festool makes. If I hadn't read about this distinct sound that the TS55 (and other's) saw's circuitry makes, I would have been sure that there was something wrong.

See:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=79295

- Rob