PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1220 Is there any way to do this?

paul ashman
03-23-2008, 10:04 PM
I am trying to figure out a way to reverse the direction of the lathe. I know that there is an easy mod for the VS, but I have seen nothing for the non-VS models. If anyone out there has an Idea, please let me know. I thought of making a mount for my drill and coupling it to the hand wheel. This would only be used for sanding by the way.

Thanks

Robert McGowen
03-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Could you get a longer belt and put a twist in it?

paul ashman
03-23-2008, 11:13 PM
I thought about that, but could I have 2 belts?

Don Warren
03-24-2008, 4:07 PM
Just a thought, but turn the Lathe around or walk to the other side

Robert McGowen
03-24-2008, 4:12 PM
If you walk around to the other side, the lathe is still spinning in the same direction! :rolleyes:

Most people use reverse only to sand. If you are able to get a belt or somehow make it go in reverse, make sure you have a set screw or something holding the chuck or faceplate to the spindle. You can easily have the entire piece spin loose from the spindle in the blink of an eye. (I wonder how I know that?)

Paul Engle
03-24-2008, 4:29 PM
Insert a stub shaft ( to change directions) on a pillow bloc between the prime mover and the out put shaft. or change to a DC motor .

Allen Neighbors
03-24-2008, 9:10 PM
I have a little Vicmarc VL100 bench model... The 1/2hp motor I have on it is a reversible motor. A friend on WC helped me out with a diagram on how to wire in a switch to reverse, instead of having to change around two wires.
I know nothing about your lathe motor, so I don't know if that is possible or not. But if the lathe has a universal mounting system for the motor, maybe it would be simple to pick up a used motor like I did, and just wire in a reversing switch.
And Robert is right as rain... make sure you have a set screw to fasten the chuck down tight. :)

Russ Peters
03-24-2008, 9:43 PM
not to hijack the thread but why sand in reverse?

David Sallee
03-24-2008, 10:05 PM
not to hijack the thread but why sand in reverse?

As someone just getting into turning.... I have the same question??

Dave

Robert McGowen
03-24-2008, 10:14 PM
I guess the simplest way to explain it would be that the sandpaper takes off the wood fibers. Some of those wood fibers will be bent over instead of coming off. If you sand the other way also, you will be going against the bent over wood fibers and take them off also, resulting in a smoother surface.

Jon McCoy
03-25-2008, 1:07 AM
The simple reversing switch works on the 1014vs DC motor by flipping the (+) and (-) motor connections. If the 1220vs uses a similar DC motor, it'll be as easy to reverse. It's like putting the batteries in backwards.

The 1220 has an AC motor, which can be reversed by flipping the line connections to the starting windings inside the motor housing, using some stranded 14ga and a 4-way house light switch.

-jon-

CHRIS EGAN
03-25-2008, 5:22 AM
If you walk around to the other side, the lathe is still spinning in the same direction! :rolleyes:

Most people use reverse only to sand. If you are able to get a belt or somehow make it go in reverse, make sure you have a set screw or something holding the chuck or faceplate to the spindle. You can easily have the entire piece spin loose from the spindle in the blink of an eye. (I wonder how I know that?)

Me being left handed and too old to change, I do all my hollowing from the back of the lathe. And yep, it still spins in the same direction.:D

Cheers
Shorty

Scott Hubl
03-25-2008, 8:21 AM
This is about Reversing the JET Mini JML 1014 VS.

It is a PDF file, no idea if it will work for the 1220 but worth a read, I found it just doing a quick Google search.
http://www.frontrangewoodturners.com/newsletters/ReversingJet.pdf

Hope it helps.:cool:

Opps just reread your post, this may not be of help.

Tom Sherman
03-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Paul I just PM'd you with some info, HTH

curtis rosche
03-25-2008, 11:45 AM
if you unbolt the motor and then flip it around

robert hainstock
03-25-2008, 2:37 PM
your motor is either AC or DC in either case you can revese it. follow the diagrams the others have provided. If it is AC,the starting windings will be connected through a centrifagal switch on the shaft end of the motor anddirectly to the start wunding. If it is DC, it will have brushes. you will have to reverse the btush feed, or the field feed but not both. CONFUSED?:eek:
Bob

paul ashman
03-25-2008, 7:20 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. If the 1220 had a DC motor it really would be easy, and I am still thinking about a swap. I am making a jig to hold my drill so that I can simply couple it to the handwheel. I will make sure to use a set screw so that the chuck does not spin off (thanks for that tip). This way I can simply raise the motor so that the belt is not engages then turn on the drill. It does not need to go too fast, but as has been stated in the thread it is very valuable when sanding to reverse the direction of the piece.
Thanks to all and if it is not too ugly I will post some pics of my solution.