PDA

View Full Version : Always amusing

Casey Gooding
03-23-2008, 7:58 PM
I was bidding, but now only watching a Lie-Nielsen Tenon saw on the auction site. It's currently going for $20 more than a new one and still has several hours to go.
I always find this amusing. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen people bid $10-$15 on items like catalogs they can get for free!!!!
I guess there's no other point to this. Just thought some of you might find is as amusing as I do.

Grant Vanbokklen
03-23-2008, 8:02 PM
I was bidding, but now only watching a Lie-Nielsen Tenon saw on the auction site. It's currently going for $20 more than a new one and still has several hours to go.

Wanting to get some planes, I've been looking at the auctions too. Then reading some of the posts here about how planes work and improved features of current one being made. I watched recently a bunch of LN planes that basically went for the price they could be had for new. I see what going on because of the auction site as a good reason to buy either LN or LV. Heck use it for a few project and then sell it and not take a loss if you want to try something else.

Wilbur Pan
03-24-2008, 1:26 AM
This observation comes up every so often, but there's an easy explanation.

Overseas, Lie-Nielsen tools sell for much more than they do in the U.S. A Lie-Nielsen 12 inch crosscut tenon saw goes for $165. In the U.K, the same saw goes for £123.94, which is $244.94 at today's exchange rates. So if you live in the U.K., and can get one off of eBay for $185-200, you're coming out ahead.