PDA

View Full Version : Miter saw bench almost complete

Wes Billups
03-23-2008, 7:06 PM
I just wanted to post some progress I've made on my mitersaw bench. My intent was to increase the storage in my shop and also create specific locations for many of my hand held tools. I'm happy with how it turned out. I still need to build a top for the whole thing but don't know what I'm going to use yet.

First off, I'll say this was all built with materials on hand which dictated the size and choice of materials. The cabinet and drawer fronts are made from some MDF core hardwood plywood. The slides I purchased a couple of years ago off of ebay and the pulls were bought at our local Woodcraft's swap meet. I did buy 1-1/2 sheets of BB plywood for the drawers. Total cost for everything was less than $100.

The first shot shows the main cabinet and the mitersaw shelf. My plan is for a cutoff bucket to fit under the mitersaw. The drawer fronts are from some smaller cutoffs of Cherry plywood so the grain doesn't match but I really like the look with the brass knobs.

The second through fifth pictures show the top two drawers on either side. I'm going to use them for a while before adding dividers.

Wes Billups
03-23-2008, 7:22 PM
Four more pictures and then I'll leave everyone alone. The next set of pictures are the bottom two rows of drawers. The really deep ones which hold my nail guns and router/circular saw/jig saw were what this whole thing was designed for. I got tired of tripping over all of the plastic carrying cases each of these came with. Since I don't take my tools to a jobsite anymore they're pretty useless.

I still need to add some more dividers to the drawers to better divide everything. This is as far as I got today as my shop time is pretty limited.

Thanks to everyone here that helped with questions along the way. I finally learned how to join MDF core plywood into boxes. See these links for more details, Spax screws (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=73293&page=2). Max drawer width (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=73516)

Jim Becker
03-23-2008, 7:42 PM
Great job, Wes...a project to be proud of...and one that will be extremely useful!

Joe Chritz
03-23-2008, 7:44 PM
I like the deep dividers, I just may do that.

The scrap is how I normally build shop projects. My last face frames consist of 12 individual pieces. 8 are poplar, 1 is oak and 3 are hickory. The sides of the cabinets are scrap maple ply and the interior divider is scrap oak ply with a left over piece of 3/4 melamine for the bottom.

May as well use up what ya got.

Looks nice

Joe