PDA

View Full Version : Easter Eggs

Joe Pelonio
03-23-2008, 6:25 PM
Now that my kids are all adults, we don't have any reason to color eggs. It's kind of too late for this now, but I wonder if anyone with a rotary attachment has tried engraving a colored (real) egg to see if you can etch an image by burning through the color back to the shell, without cutting it? Seems like a fun idea to try.

Steve Eide
03-23-2008, 8:19 PM
I have a subscription to MAKE magazine which had a post where someone in Germany engraved a raw egg. There was no mention of settings, just the pictures.

Joe Pelonio
03-23-2008, 9:39 PM
I have a subscription to MAKE magazine which had a post where someone in Germany engraved a raw egg. There was no mention of settings, just the pictures.
Aha, something for next year.

Wes Bischel
03-23-2008, 10:01 PM
They are laser etching the use by dates on eggs around here. They show up well after coloring.

Wes

Jack Harper
03-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Joe,

you asked about etching without cutting. Can you actually cut and egg with a laser? If so, I wonder just how elaborate of a lattice type design you could laser. To do this, you would have to poke a hole in both ends and blow out the egg from the shell. My machine does not have a rotary available so I cannot try this.

Micheal Donnellan
03-23-2008, 10:20 PM
I dont believe in laser engraving dates on eggs. Ink pad is safer no shell strength compromise. I prefer full strength eggs where outer layers are not damaged and let bacteria molds in. You lot wash your eggs as well over there, they dont here and they last longer.

I have done some cutting and etching on eggs, will try to post some photos if I can get the camera to cooperate with me.(its on strike)

Jerry Hay
03-24-2008, 6:36 PM
A friend of mine sent me some photos of eggs done on a laser.
I have not tried it yet but it looks interesting.

James Stokes
03-24-2008, 6:52 PM
I have seen those before, I think they were actually done with a dremal tool.

Jerry Hay
03-25-2008, 7:14 PM
I didn't notice any burnt edges that is what made me skeptical. Even though it may be worth a try.

Marc Myer
03-25-2008, 7:33 PM
The tool generally used is a high-speed air-driven Dremel-type tool. The tips are very precise, and operate in the thousands of RPMs. They work very well, and the preferred material is ostrich eggs, as they have thick shells. Lots of fun to play with.

Kayne Gill
03-25-2008, 11:29 PM
I have seen this product to mark eggs. Not sure if its what you really want, but its an interesting product. There is a food safe version of it.

http://www.datalase.com/

Danny Nichols
04-08-2008, 9:18 AM
There is a company, web site http://www.scmartwork.com, that sells a tool that is very goos at doing egg engraving. If you want to try eggs, you must try an EMU egg. They are 3 different colors, depending on how deep you go. Outside is very, very dark green, next is blue and then white. At least that is the way I remember it. I know they are three different colors. So you can cut some very pretty item by using the different colors.