PDA

View Full Version : Marathon motor owners

Louis Reed
03-23-2008, 5:27 PM
Hello,
I would like some pro and cons on the Marathon motor. I'm looking at buying a 3hp 1 phase motor for my unisaw. I know its american made but not up on the quality rating of this brand. I have Baldor and Leeson motors that I like and can get the Marathon for $100 less. However if the quality is marginal then it's the Baldor for me.

Thanks,
Louis

Vernon Taylor
03-23-2008, 8:37 PM
My 1996 Unisaw came with a Marathon as did my Delta 2 stage dust collector,never any probloms. Can't comment on comparitive specifications.

Louis Reed
03-23-2008, 9:26 PM
Thanks for the information

Louis

Bruce Wrenn
03-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Marathon, Century, Lesson, Baldor, and WEG- I wouldn't walk across the street to get one brand over the other. All are quality motors. The only bad thing I can say about any of them, is that when I used to pick up motors in the junk yard, most of the Baldors were toast. Someone had let the magic smoke out. In three phases, US Motors makes a good motor.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Marathon, Century, Lesson, Baldor, and WEG- I wouldn't walk across the street to get one brand over the other. All are quality motors. The only bad thing I can say about any of them, is that when I used to pick up motors in the junk yard, most of the Baldors were toast. Someone had let the magic smoke out. In three phases, US Motors makes a good motor.

I highly agree about the 3 phase US Motors. We have 350 to 400 of them running irrigation systems, and very rarely do I have problems with the motors. The gear gear reduction boxes are another story....

J. Z. Guest
03-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Leeson & Marathon are now the same company. I believe they still maintain their own brand names, but quality will be the same on either of them.

These motors are made to run 24/7, and will go years and years in this manner. You'll never use them to their full capacity.

Louis Reed
03-24-2008, 10:25 AM
:)

I would like to thank all of you that responded to my post.

Louis

Chris Zenda
03-24-2008, 10:33 AM
I happen to service machinery that exclusively uses marathon single phase motors, I'm continuously replacing motors as the result of faulty centrifugal switches.
This same company used a differen't brand motor in the past and switched to marathon , ever since I've seen nothing but problems with them.

Bruce Wrenn
03-24-2008, 10:44 PM
I happen to service machinery that exclusively uses marathon single phase motors, I'm continuously replacing motors as the result of faulty centrifugal switches.
This same company used a differen't brand motor in the past and switched to marathon , ever since I've seen nothing but problems with them.Is the problem a particular design of switch? Or is it all their switches? I know GE motors used to be a PITA to work on as they bought into the switch of the day mentality. Every model had a totally different switch.