PDA

View Full Version : Building my new miter sled, pics and question

Phil Thien
03-23-2008, 4:36 PM
I've included a pic of my original sled. It uses two t-slots and aluminum sub-fences that allow me to achieve any desired angle. I use a protractor to set the angles (nothing marked on the board).

It works great, with the only caveat being that it takes quite a while to adjust to an angle because I have to slide the sacrificial fence on the sub-fence. There are six knobs required for all of this. So, time intensive. Also, using a protractor each time gets tedious. Oh, and my kids keep taking my protractors for their homework!

I decided having something similar to the Dubby made sense (http://www.in-lineindustries.com/single_dubby.html). Rockler sells one of these, too. But $200 is too much to spend. But, I'd be able to make some permanent marks for angles, make fast adjustments, etc.

I decided to use an Incra 18" runner, and I made my substrate 17" square. This is a prototype, so I may go larger if I decide to make another one.

Instead of routing a slot for a carriage bolt (which would require removing my one and only router from my router table), I decided I'd use a t-bolt and t-slot. This clever (IIDSSM) alternative allows me to route the t-slot all the way to the edge of the board w/o compromising the strength of the substrate. I used a jig screwed to my router table's lift as shown in one of the photos. I use a 12" radius.

The only thing I'm kinda stuck on, and this is where you come in, is how to handle the pivot. I have a 1/4" hole that I used as the pivot to route my arc, and that will act as the pivot for my fence, too.

I could use a carriage-head bolt from underneath (which would have to be countersunk) into a knob above, but my substrate is only 1/2" thick (with the countersink this may not be thick enough to accommodate the square portion of the carriage-head bolt.

I could use a threaded insert in the substrate, but I SUCK at putting them in (and my experience is that they don't like plywood, they separate the plys).

I could countersink the hole from underneath and use a flat-head screw from the bottom into a knob on top, but when tightening from above the screw would spin in the hole underneath (nothing to grab it).

I have seen on McMaster a flat-head screw that had little bumps or keys in it that would prevent it from spinning in a hole. But I can't find them now. I can't remember what they were called. And I have never used them so I don't know how well they work.

Doug Shepard
03-23-2008, 5:33 PM
If the hole on the fence isnt overly large I dont know why you'd need to tighten the pivot end down with something threaded. Why not just epoxy a pice of 1/4" steel or brass rod into that hole and maybe file a bit of chamfer on the sharp edges?

Phil Thien
03-23-2008, 5:41 PM
If the hole on the fence isnt overly large I dont know why you'd need to tighten the pivot end down with something threaded. Why not just epoxy a pice of 1/4" steel or brass rod into that hole and maybe file a bit of chamfer on the sharp edges?

Interesting thought, but I think I'd like to be able to crank that side down. Even if it makes the fence 5% more secure, it would be worth it.

Doug Shepard
03-23-2008, 6:03 PM
OK - Plan B
Insert a 1/4" toilet bolt through the hole and trace the rounded flange with a sharp knife and mortise out for it underneath and epoxy that in. The flange is only about 1/16" (or less) thick and should work fine with 1/2" ply. You should be able to do the majority of the mortise with forstner or brad point bits and clean up the rest with small chisels. The mortise/flange (and epoxy) would stop the bolt from being able to turn.

Doug Shepard
03-23-2008, 6:14 PM
Found a link to the type I'm referring to although I wasn't thinking brass ones
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51-291-toilet-bolts-and-washers/toilet-bolts-606707.aspx
Lowes or HD should have some

Phil Thien
03-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Found a link to the type I'm referring to although I wasn't thinking brass ones
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51-291-toilet-bolts-and-washers/toilet-bolts-606707.aspx
Lowes or HD should have some

Those are pretty much the same as I'm using for the other side of the fence. :)

I found the bolt type I was looking for, it is called a plow bolt. It is basically a carriage head bolt with a flat, countersunk head. But they are not available (from McMaster, at least) in anything less than 3/8". Perhaps when I get back to town I'll check one of the larger hardware stores.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll perhaps resort to some sort of stud w/ epoxy.

Greg Hines, MD
03-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Perhaps a toothed T-nut on the underside of the sled, which would only require a 1/16" recess, with a threaded rod, epoxied into a knob or wing nut?

Doc

Phil Thien
03-24-2008, 8:04 AM
Going back to Doug's original idea, I think I will use the router bit and recess the bottom of the panel for a t-bolt. It doesn't have to be glued in, I'll tighten a knob from above.