PDA

View Full Version : Grounding Wire for Ridgid TS2400?

Gini Linder
03-23-2008, 1:16 PM
Hi all,

I'm thinking of making a wood cabinet style mobile base for a Ridgid TS2400. That would permit me to add some tool storage, etc, while having the saw "at the ready" and taking up no more room really than it does on the metal fold-up mobile base it came with.

Here's the question: there is a grounding wire that runs from the motor to the metal mobile base. Where and how should I ground things if I build a wood cabinet style base for the saw? Any and all advice appreciated!

J. Z. Guest
03-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Hi all,

I'm thinking of making a wood cabinet style mobile base for a Ridgid TS2400. That would permit me to add some tool storage, etc, while having the saw "at the ready" and taking up no more room really than it does on the metal fold-up mobile base it came with.

Here's the question: there is a grounding wire that runs from the motor to the metal mobile base. Where and how should I ground things if I build a wood cabinet style base for the saw? Any and all advice appreciated!

First, I'd like to point out that making a wooden base for it would mean that the saw would take up the same (or less) room while it is upright. With the stand included, it breaks down MUCH smaller for vertical storage. So you would lose that option. But I assume you've thought of that.

The ground wire from the motor to the metal frame is a bonding wire. the motor and accessible dead metal parts of the saw are grounded, since it is a grounded tool. They gave the option to also ground the frame for safety reasons. (i.e. a guy is standing in a puddle of water on the jobsite, if for some reason the live parts get wet, the electric current would go through the ground path to earth rather than through the carpenter)

If you're going to put it on a wooden cart, you have hardly any options for grounding it anyway, so just forget it. Just tape it off somewhere it won't be in the way.

Also, I assume there's precious little chance you'll be working while standing in water or in direct contact with something that's earthed, (aside from the saw table, that is) thus acting to complete a circuit with your body in the event of a ground fault.

It's a lot of techno-talk, but I hope helpful anyhow.

Gini Linder
03-24-2008, 1:10 AM
That's a help, Jeremy. Thanks.