PDA

View Full Version : The vortex has claimed another victim

GLENN THOMAS
03-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Thought you folks might get a kick out of this. About 3 months before my youngest son turned 8 he decided he wanted a lathe for his birthday. I figured he wanted one just because I have one and he would soon change his mind. Well he never did change his mind and I ended uo getting him a Delta midi. I built a stand for it that was just the right height for him, showed him how to use the tools and turned him loose. The other day he decided to try his first bowl, first attempt not so good but the second not so bad. He asked me to post a picture of it to see what everyone thinks. So here they are.

Thanks for looking

G.T.

Scott Hubl
03-23-2008, 1:39 PM
Nice work young man, your making your Daddy Proud of you.;)

George Guadiane
03-23-2008, 1:55 PM
THAT IS COOL!
I don't think my first bowl was any better, and I was over 50 when I started.
He's got a lot of potential, and a built in teacher!
You have to watch out though Glenn, he's going to be teaching you before long...:eek:

laurie sullivan
03-23-2008, 2:01 PM
I feel the same as George, over 50 when I got started. hey we should start a thread showing everyone's first bowl........maybe not.

great job on your son's first bowl.

Laurie

Ken LaSota
03-23-2008, 2:03 PM
Great job :D
This is the beginning of some great times for both of you,enjoy it and keep the bowls coming.:)

Steve Schlumpf
03-23-2008, 2:08 PM
Beautiful bowl! Very nice form and color! Be sure to let your son know he did a great job on it! Make sure he signs and dates the bottom of it!

Looking forward to seeing more of his work real soon!

Cary Swoveland
03-23-2008, 2:20 PM
I'm impressed. Very nice bowl, young man. And what is your name?

I have a suggestion. After you gain a bit more experience, ask your dad to help you make an instructional video on bowl turning, aimed at children, to post on youtube. If you do that, post the link here so we can all see it.

Cary

Jim Becker
03-23-2008, 2:36 PM
Smart kid....starting early like this when Dad can fund the pull of the vortex! LOL :D :D

Ben Gastfriend
03-23-2008, 3:29 PM
Welcome to the Underage Turners club!

Really... really nice bowl!

Tom Sherman
03-23-2008, 3:34 PM
Glenn I'm sure you are very proud of him, he has done a great job. A very nice looking bowl. Congratulations.

David Wilhelm
03-23-2008, 5:36 PM
I'm impressed as I'm sure most are. Keep up the good work!!

Rick Huelsbeck
03-23-2008, 6:19 PM
That looks a lot better than my second bowl looked, I won't even show it.;)

Andy Hoyt
03-23-2008, 6:41 PM
Welcome to the Underage Turners club!

Really... really nice bowl! Hey Ben. What's the upper age limit for the club. I'm only seven-something in dog years?

Dave Stoler
03-23-2008, 6:43 PM
Two BIG bonkers at the lathe...:D
Nice bowl.. He,s a natural !!

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2008, 7:21 PM
Glenn tell him that is a beautiful first bowl. He did a great job on it. I tell ya dad it don't get any better than that. Time in the shop with son.

Steve Campbell
03-23-2008, 7:43 PM
That is a great looking bowl whether it is your second or your hundredth. Good gob.

Steve

GLENN THOMAS
03-23-2008, 8:00 PM
I'm impressed. Very nice bowl, young man. And what is your name?

I have a suggestion. After you gain a bit more experience, ask your dad to help you make an instructional video on bowl turning, aimed at children, to post on youtube. If you do that, post the link here so we can all see it.

Cary

Funny that you should mention a video, my son has asked me several times if I could help him make some "woodturning or building shows" and put them on TV, like I have equipment to broadcast TV shows. Anyway thanks for all the kind remarks. Now I have to go buy junior a new face shield, when I showed him what everyone said his head got too big for the one he has.

G.T.

Ben Gastfriend
03-23-2008, 8:02 PM
Hmmm.... I'll have to think about that...

Ok. I would let you in the club, seeing as you were rejected from the Mustard club because you won't paint Janine the right color, but I'm afraid all that Moxie will have a bad influence on all of us! :D

Hey Ben. What's the upper age limit for the club. I'm only seven-something in dog years?

Bill Bolen
03-23-2008, 8:25 PM
Glenn, From one Junior to another...Great job!..Wish my 20th looked that good. Afraid I'm a bit over 8 though. Ben would never let me join the club!..Bill..

Keith Burns
03-23-2008, 8:35 PM
All I can add is "WOW". Doesn't get any better than this !

Alex Cam
03-24-2008, 8:49 AM
Hi Glenn,

Make sure you tell your son it looks like he's got a natural talent for turning. You both should be very proud. If he keeps at it, someday I'll be putting out big money to take classes from him..!

Alex

Troy Donson
03-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Glenn, Could your son give me a call and tell me what I am doing wrong? :D

That bowl is absolutely beautiful !!!!

Troy

Daniel Heine
03-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Hello,

That is how I fell into the never ending pit. My son saw a pen turning demonstration at the local Woodcraft store, and started begging me for a lathe. I bought him one for Christmas that year. Problem was, sfter he went to bed, I had to go try it out. We have 2 running in the shop now, one for him, and another for me. We've both been drooling over a bit of mustard, but a mean mommy might make us settle for a new Nova 1624!!!

Happy Turning,
Dan Heine

Joseph Peacock
03-24-2008, 4:54 PM
Awsom!!! Your son did better than I did on my 3 Bowl. Good work.:cool:

Thomas Bennett
03-24-2008, 6:41 PM
Those photos of your son are the coolest thing I've seen yet on this foum. Very inspirational. He(you ) could post the future video on u-tube.

Don Orr
03-26-2008, 10:35 AM
I sure do like that bowl, it's definitely a keeper. I wish I had started that young, I might actually know what I'm doing by now:eek:.

Steve Mawson
03-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Good job. I was about that big when I started. That was a very long time ago.

Glenn Hodges
03-26-2008, 4:44 PM
Your youngest did a great job. I wish I could have started when I was that age, but of course I did not have a dad named Glenn that owned a lathe.