PDA

View Full Version : Derrell Sloan -are you there?

Dave Malen
03-22-2004, 5:53 PM
Derrell,
In a previous post you said that you replaced your one hp jet motor with a Leeson 1.5 hp motor when the Jet motor bit the dust. Did you notice any appreciable difference in power between the Jet and Leeson motors? Could you resaw wider boards?

Thanks - Dave

Derrell Sloan
03-23-2004, 12:21 AM
Derrell,
In a previous post you said that you replaced your one hp jet motor with a Leeson 1.5 hp motor when the Jet motor bit the dust. Did you notice any appreciable difference in power between the Jet and Leeson motors? Could you resaw wider boards?

Thanks - Dave

Dave,

I didn't do much resawing before my original Jet motor bit the dust. I have done some resawing after putting the new motor on and there is certainly a difference in the power the saw has. It seems to cut with more athority now and I haven't bogged it down yet, although I haven't resawed that much wider stuff. I have resawed a bit of jatoba, which is a very tough wood. The widest board I resawed was probably 6''. I think I could have shoved that wood through as fast as I wanted to without bogging down the saw, and that is with a 3/4'' resaw blade.

As far as resawing wider boards, I wouldn't believe that you could cut a wider board with a 1 hp motor vs a 1.5 hp as long as you use a good sharp blade. You could go faster with the 1.5hp and it would do it easier than the smaller motor. If my motor hadn't smoked out I would not have replace it. But it did, so I did. If I were going to be doing lots of resawing, I would want to get a bigger saw like the grizzly 17''.