PDA

View Full Version : Veneering advice needed

Jim Baker
03-07-2003, 7:14 PM
This weekend I will be doing some veneering for the first time.

I will be using red oak veneer with 3M spray adhesive to cover the bottom of some upper display cabinets. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Todd Burch
03-08-2003, 12:49 AM
Jim, I've used spray adhesive for a bunch of things, but never veneer. Yellow glue and contact cement is all I've used.

Probably wouldn't hurt to clamp it anyway, just to get any puckers or bubbles down.
Todd.

Phil Phelps
03-08-2003, 8:27 AM
...I use many different kinds of adhesives in the display business, Jim. "Delamination" the biggest fear and problem. I use a lot of spray mount adhesives with paper type products, but not on wood. 3-M makes numerous adhesives, but I like glue. Contact adhesive is good; best method is under pressure. Good luck.

Jim Izat
03-08-2003, 8:41 AM
Disclaimer: I've never veneered.

Having said that I have been studying up on it lately and have read in two or three different books that contact cement is not the way to go with veneer. Works really well with high pressure laminate but something about glue giving the veneer the chance to move slightly in response to changes in humidity reduces the chances for cracking later.

<a href="http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/tips/troubleshoot.html">
Contact cement tips from the Oakwood Veneer Company</a><a href="http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/tips/troubleshoot.html"></a>
<p><a href="http://www.woodweb.com/KnowledgeBase/KBVeneerTechniques.html">Woodweb's tips for veneering</a>

Hope these are useful,

Jim Izat

paul in colorado
03-08-2003, 9:50 AM
Jim: I've read these warnings about contact cement and can only relate my experience. My biggest projects were a couple of harpsichord cases [think grand piano size]. These were huge sheets of veneer applied with contact cement. So far, they have lasted 30 years with no cracking or delaminating. Done without bags or clamping.
Some suggestions: don't rush! Give the glue plenty of time. Lay your sheet down slowly to minimize bubbles. Use a wooden veneer roller to iron out any air bubbles. Roll, roll, and roll.
My guess as to why veneers delaminate with contact cement is the temptation to get on with it and not give the cement time to dry, especially if the cement is put on too thick. I have this tendency to not follow the directions on the can if I read them at all. Sometimes it pays.

Jim Izat
03-08-2003, 1:04 PM
Originally posted by paul in colorado
Jim: I've read these warnings about contact cement and can only relate my experience. My biggest projects were a couple of harpsichord cases [think grand piano size]. These were huge sheets of veneer applied with contact cement. So far, they have lasted 30 years with no cracking or delaminating. Done without bags or clamping.

<center><b><font size ="4" color = "darkgreen"> Wow! Thirty years'll outlast me for sure. I'll have to give contact cement a try next time!</center>

Jim Izat </b></font>