PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal wire run

Roger Warford
03-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Are there any requirements for horizontal wire runs in an unfinished space (used as a workshop)? I plan on installing a number of outlets at 58" from the floor (to allow storage of sheet goods below without interfering with the outlets). Is it acceptable to make a horizontal wire run through the studs above those outlets? I'd be happy to read the relevant sections of the NEC myself, but finding the right sections seems difficult...

Ken Fitzgerald
03-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Roger.....My electrical inspector allowed it. My outlets are 52" above the floor. You might want to check with your local building code enforcement department.

Jim Creech
03-22-2008, 11:25 PM
As a former electrician I found that this is generally not a problem "Code Wise". However I ran all my shop circuits up and over. Makes for a neater job and offers more protection to the wire. As for electrical inspectors, around here neatness counts!

Joe McCormick
03-23-2008, 12:17 AM
Roger.
I was told by an electrical inspector and an electrician from Colorado Springs, CO that you can run the wire horizontal. If the walls were NOT going to be sheetrocked or covered with any other material, then a piece of 2x4 blocking had to be installed over the horizontal run between the studs. This it to prevent anything from being hung on the wire or someone trying to stand on it. If you intend to cover the wall right away, then no blocking was required. It would be best to check with your local inspector just to make sure.

Rob Russell
03-23-2008, 7:40 AM
Roger,

I'm guessing that you're planning to install NM cable (one brand is "Romex"). If true, then the NEC article specific to NM cable is 334.

Running cables horizontally is fine. The NM cable has to be supported every 4 1/2 feet, which isn't likely to be a problem.

The key to your installation will be 334.15(B), Exposed Work, Protection from Physical Damage. The NEC doesn't define what "Physical Damage" is in Article 100, Definitions. That means the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction, aka the building inspector) can make their own call as to whether an installation adequately protects the NM cable from damage. Some inspectors might allow just recessing the NM Cable the required 1 1/4" behind the front surface of the studs. Others will require blocking to protect it as Joe noted.

I agree with a call to your local inspector to see what their requirements will be. Even if they don't require the protective blocking, I'd put it in anyway. Horizontal runs of cable seem like they'd be too subject to having things hung on them or leaned against the studs and then falling into the stud bays against the cables.

Rob
Addy protocol: unlicensed, homeowner electrician

Anthony Whitesell
03-23-2008, 7:48 AM
As Joe said, most home inspectors will require "clothesline prevention" ie. a piece of blocking above the wire to prevent it from being used as a clothesline or from something falling against it.

Roger Warford
03-24-2008, 9:19 AM
Thanks to all! Hope everyone had a great Easter. The blocking sounds like a great idea. I'll do that. I'll also call my inspector, but they are only available by phone about 45 minutes twice a day - that makes it tough to talk to them.

And Rob, thanks for the NEC references. I'll look those up - the real reason I choose to do my own wiring was because I enjoy learning new things. It'll give me a chance to educate myself a bit more.

Rob Russell
03-24-2008, 9:54 AM
Roger, take a look at 300.4 - it's got general rules for installations too.