PDA

View Full Version : Glue or Fasteners?

Glen Blanchard
03-22-2008, 9:44 PM
The following question is regarding the piece circled in the image below (the piece that supports the carcass). If done correctly, I assume the carcass should not be glued to this piece, but rather employ a hardware fastener, correct? What about this piece and the stand itself - can it be merely glued to the stand?

http://smilesrus.com/woodworking3/IMG712_xl-2.jpg

Doug Shepard
03-22-2008, 9:57 PM
I think I'd just use screws. Even if there were no wood movement issues involved, it would be much easier if it ever needs to be moved if it could be broken down. I think I'd just use one of these LV bits to put some slots on the bottom side of the stand's top rail and put screws into cabinet.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=52607&cat=1,46168,46171&ap=1

Jim Creech
03-22-2008, 11:05 PM
I agree with Doug. Moving, repair or refinishing would be easier if it could be dismantled!

Ryan Hovis
03-22-2008, 11:43 PM
If appearance is an issue, you could always cap the screws with a square plug for a false tenon.

William OConnell
03-22-2008, 11:55 PM
I don't think I would use screwa. Maybe something along the lines of a sliding dovetail.

Bert Johansen
03-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Glen, I'd go with screws covered by plugs made from the same wood. They won't be seen unless one deliberately kneels down to look at the bottom of the cabinet, and they will be very hard to see if you align the grain of the plug with the lower frame piece.

Jim Becker
03-23-2008, 9:01 AM
I don't think I would use screwa. Maybe something along the lines of a sliding dovetail.

Screws are fine, but your comment points out that one must make provisions for wood movement. The screws in the front would typically be in a fixed location, but those in the back would be in slots so that seasonal expansion and contraction is dealt with. This, of course, presumes a certain configuration of the material in the case...the location/direction of the slots would be altered to suit the actual construction.

As an alternative and using your suggestion, sliding dovetails could be employed, but there would still be a need for some kind of mechanical fastener to insure that the case stays in the proper location on the stand.

Glen Blanchard
03-23-2008, 9:31 AM
Thanks guys. I think I will use 2 "fixed" screws towards the front of the carcass to stabilize the position on the stand and then 2 screws in slots in the rear of the carcass to allow for movement. I've got a pretty good handle on this now, and I appreciate your suggestions.

I assume this supporting piece can merely be glued to the stand?