PDA

View Full Version : Jackpot!!!! I finished my first project (Workbench)!!!

Matt Woessner
03-22-2008, 8:50 PM
I finally finished my first project tonight, and I could not be happier. It is made from reclaimed 60 year old oak. Most of which is quatersawn, but not all. I tried to incorporate the quatersawn boards so that they would be seen a lot. The end panels are made from walnut from a guy here locally. The walnut is the only wood that is not reclaim. I used a Griz cabinet makers vise. I have attached some before and after pictures for your viewing. Please let me know good - or bad. Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

Heather Thompson
03-22-2008, 8:58 PM
Matt,

Tis a thing of beauty, but I do not see any holes for bench dogs, are you planning on adding them later? :confused: Fine craftsmanship and a beautiful work for your first project, I know my first did not look that good. :o

Heather

Phil Thien
03-22-2008, 9:03 PM
Looks great. What kind of hardware did you use to attach the stretchers?

Matt Woessner
03-22-2008, 9:10 PM
I have a jig made to put in my dog holes, but never haved used them before I am a little up in the air about them now. I had every intention of using them first off. Maybe you can make up my mind.

Phil--
The stretchers are just attached with 7 in long 1/2 diameter bolts with a square nut set in a mortise on the back side of the stretcher. I also added 2 half inch pins one above and one below the bolts to keep the stretcher from twisting.

Carroll Courtney
03-22-2008, 9:16 PM
Very nice bench,it is a work of art that you will put to use on every other project.Great job

Sam Yerardi
03-22-2008, 9:25 PM
Very, very nice work, especially for your first project!

Matt Woessner
03-22-2008, 9:31 PM
Thanks yall. I just ran a quick calculation in my head and figured the entire bench only cost $150 including all hardware. My biggest expense was the walnut, the vise and the MDF. Pretty good being how I have my first baby on the way.

Ben Cadotte
03-22-2008, 9:35 PM
Looks like a nice bench. This is truely your first project? Looks too good for me to use.

Jim Becker
03-23-2008, 9:05 AM
A fine looking bench, Matt!

John Keeton
03-23-2008, 9:12 AM
Really nice job! And you are going to pound stuff on that thing???!! A little overhang and it would look real good with supper sittin' on it! Nice color - did you stain it or is that the aged color of the oak?

Matt Woessner
03-23-2008, 9:27 AM
John- That is the natural color of the oak, the finish I used is a danish oil natural color.

George Sanders
03-23-2008, 9:51 AM
Very nice job on what appears to be a rock solid bench.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-23-2008, 9:54 AM
Very nice first or 100th project! Very nicely done Matt!

David Sallee
03-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Nice bench Matt, I hope my first bench build turns out half as nice as this one!!

Personally I'd add the dog holes... never know when they will come in handy... ya might not use (need) them right now but sure enough if you didn't put them in, you would be in the middle of a big project and need them! Save your self some time later and do them now...

Great Job on the bench!!

And congrats on the new arrival coming ;) ... now ya got someplace to build all that baby furniture... :eek:

Dave

Doug Shepard
03-23-2008, 10:35 AM
I have a jig made to put in my dog holes, but never haved used them before I am a little up in the air about them now. I had every intention of using them first off. Maybe you can make up my mind.

The bench looks great. Jeff Wright had a pretty good thread about doing the dog holes that might be worth looking at.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57406

J. Z. Guest
03-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Certainly looks nicer than my own workbench, hehehe.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the Grizzly green doesn't match with the nice browns of the bench. That's certainly a nitpick though. It looks solid as a rock.

I was going to put drawers under the top of my bench, but I'm glad I didn't. The router table & planer go there when they're not being used now. I'd have nowhere to put them if I'd put the drawers in.

glenn bradley
03-23-2008, 12:04 PM

I had never used them but noticed most folks do. I added some and cannot imagine working without them. They are one of those very simple things that really changes your approach to a task.

I used a wood guide made on the drill press and clamped in place to space my holes. Don't forget to use a backer board. I forgot to move the backer on one of my holes . . . ugly (but underneath). ;)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=65523&d=1180501803

P.s. The bench looks GREAT. I really like the solid end panels.

gary Zimmel
03-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Matt

Sweet looking bench! Excellent job....

Roger Lance
03-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Congradulations Matt...the building of your own bench is considered a rite of passage for a woodworker...and you passed!!

Vito Baratta
03-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Bench looks amazing!

I am sure it's also rock solid.

Great job!

Richard M. Wolfe
03-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Very nice work, Matt. Now it's time to get out there and either tip over a can of walnut stain on it or drop something that weighs about 75 pounds with a couple sharp edges on it. That's what I would do anyway. :D

Yun-Fong Loh
03-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Nice job, Matt!