PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Glue and Paper Backed Veneer PROBLEMS

Lance Norris
03-22-2008, 8:40 PM
Ive been making some bandsawn boxes lately and wanted to try something Ive seen in the books. After you have your blanks sized, but before you cut the core out, you cut a swooping curve through the blank and glue a piece of contrasting color veneer into the kerf. So I bought the only veneer my local lumberyard had, paper backed veneer. The problem I have is now the blanks are breaking on the paper backed side. What can I do to fix this? Is there a way to use PVA glue for paper backed veneer, or am I sunk? The paper wont peel off, I cant sand it off. I have yellow, white, and Titebond III glue. I didnt try white or TB3. If this paper back veneer wont work, does anybody know of a cheap supplier of veneers? Im not looking for exotics, just colors white and black(birch-walnut). Somebody HELP.

Thanks

Mike Henderson
03-22-2008, 8:46 PM
You need to get some regular veneer and not paper backed veneer. The only thing paper backed veneer is good for is large panels. There's a bunch of places to order veneer on the web, one of which is Certainly Wood. Joe Woodworker also sells regular veneer.

Mike