PDA

View Full Version : Home-made cool blocks

Sam Yerardi
03-22-2008, 8:29 PM
Everyone is going to say I'm crazy but the other day in the shop I got to thinking about my bandsaw and the guide blocks. I was adjusting in a different size blade when I realized that it was quite a while back when I changed the guide blocks. I also realized that I haven't had any problem with guide blocks since then. I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it for everyone but what I had done was I lost one of the blocks while readjusting it and could not find it. I had a lot of stuff to do and of course I had no replacements. I decided to try to make some of my own. I cut up and milled some ebony to the exact size. I replaced all four. I installed them, and they've been in there ever since with no visually detectable wear. I don't know how cool they are actually running but they seem to be doing fine. I thought maybe I would try some lignum vitae because of its natural oiliness in addition to its hardness.

Jim O'Dell
03-22-2008, 8:32 PM
Sam, many people do the same thing instead of buying the cool blocks. (I haven't, yet;)) The Lignum Vatae does seem to be the wood of choice. Jim.

Roy Wall
03-22-2008, 8:32 PM
I don't think you're crazy at all.....those are great replacements.

John Shuk
03-22-2008, 8:52 PM
I recently made a set for a small Delta saw that I own out of Ipe. I soaked them in WD-40 which I read about somewhere. They are working very nicely.

Michael O'Sullivan
03-22-2008, 8:57 PM
Would wenge or cocobolo work for cool blocks? It would be a nice use for scraps.

Sam Yerardi
03-22-2008, 9:19 PM
I would guess any kind of extremely dense wood that has natural oiliness like cocobolo would work. The ebony I used appears to be dry as a bone so wenge and others should work good, too.

Quesne Ouaques
03-22-2008, 9:40 PM
Hey Sam: Not crazy at all. I've been using home made purpleheart guides for all of my blades less than 3/8" for years now. Lonnie Bird gave me the idea in one of his books. Works great.

John Thompson
03-22-2008, 10:28 PM
It's been done for years.. David Marks has an article in the latest Popular WW on BS's and mentions he uses lignum vitae. I like the lignum vitae as it is oily and hard as a rock. Difficult to cut and a little harsh on and edge but... they use it to make bearing for the propellor shafts on ships which says a lot in itself...

Sarge..

Richard M. Wolfe
03-22-2008, 11:56 PM
I haven't tried it, but I read somewhere of someone who used short cutoff pieces of dowel rod. Softer and you'd have to change more often, but certainly cheap and readily available. All kinds of things come to mind to try....uhmw, teflon, etc.

Bob Vallaster
03-23-2008, 8:48 AM
I made mine from lignum vitae ~6 years ago. Still going strong. No need to impregnante with anything---they're a natural bearing material.

Bob V.