PDA

View Full Version : Shaper cutters

Ron Bontz
03-22-2008, 7:52 PM
I have been patiently looking at rail and stile shaper cutters so I would have them when I made my kitchen cabinets. I noticed MLCS is running a sale on their matched 1-1/4" bore sets. I prefer 1-1/4" bore. Approx. $160.00. Has anyone used their sets and how was the finish and fit? The tennons are 3/8th inch with a 3-1/2" over all dia. Compared to Freud who has a 7/16th" tennon with a 3-9/16th over all dia. I would tend to lean toward the Freud bits with the deeper tennon but the MLCS are almost half the cost. I welcome any thoughts. Right now I can't afford Freeborn etc. and I am still paying for that Jet 1642-2. Too many toys in the toy box. :)

Joe Chritz
03-22-2008, 7:56 PM
I have a one reversible set of MLCS stile/rail cutters and a matched tongue groove flooring set. Both are pretty good. I also have a matched set of Katana cutters for stile/rail and they are very nice.

I don't have any 1.25" bore bits. I don't see the advantage over a 3/4 bore for either, maybe for a panel raiser. $160 seems like a good price for a 1.25" cutter, the Katana cutter was more than that.

Joe

Jeff Duncan
03-24-2008, 10:32 AM
The 1-1/4" bore won't make a difference in your cut, the size of the cutter will however, and the 1-1/4" is considerably larger than the 3/4". I know b/c I just went through this myself and after getting advice from some other pro's decided to upgrade my spindle and purchase a set of freeborn cutters. Although the specs on the larger cutters don't sound like much of a difference, when you get them you realize there is a lot more mass to them.The cutting diameter is larger and so the cutting angle is actually slightly different than on the smaller cutters. In short they just cut cleaner.
If you have the bigger spindle and don't mind spending the money the bigger cutters are better IMO. On the other hand if your doing this as a hobby and this will be the only kitchen you use them on, the difference may not be worth it to you. As far as brands go, most of the well known names make good quality cutters. Better cutters will have better grades of carbide which will last longer. But again, if your only doing one kitchen will it matter? I have plenty of 3/4" bore sets that I used on multiple jobs without any problem, so it's really not going to make a huge difference for you.
good luck,
JeffD

Ron Bontz
03-24-2008, 2:44 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. I've been leaning towards the 1-1/4" bore because of exactly that. Larger mass, larger radius, and higher radial velocity. I just happen to come across MLCS sale and wondered about their fit, etc. I do occasionally make cabinets , etc for others but was getting ready to make my kitchen cabinets. I have always used a router table up to now. Thanks again.

Rob Russell
03-24-2008, 3:54 PM
There is another difference between the 3/4" and 1 1/4" cutters. The 1 1/4" spindle is much stiffer than the 3/4" spindle and will deflect less when put under load. That's one reason the larger bore cutters cut better