PDA

View Full Version : Converting to cool blocks

Burt Alcantara
03-22-2008, 6:32 PM
I have a Grizzly G0555. I've replaced the bearings twice. They just don't last long. Worse, they don't stay aligned. After an alignment, any cut I make throws them out. So, it's time to throw them out...like, out the window out.

How can I install cool blocks on this saw? I'm guessing I need a new guide system but I don't know where to find this. Everyone sells blocks but seems no one sells the actual guide.

Comments?

Thanks,
Burt

Pete Bradley
03-22-2008, 8:17 PM
I seriously doubt cool blocks would be an improvement. When you say they go out of alignment, what happens? I guess I can envision the top guide assembly turning on its shaft if it wasn't properly secured, but that should be easily solvable.

As for wear, bearings are cheap. Those should be really cheap. Buy 10 from a bearing supplier.

Pete

glenn bradley
03-22-2008, 8:20 PM
If your losing alignment after a cut I doubt replacing the guides is going to help. The bearings and shafts moving is not very likely. What's holding them could be your culprit. I would check this out further before you start throwing money at it JMHO.

Burt Alcantara
03-23-2008, 10:48 AM
95% of my cutting is logs between 5" - 12". When I do an alignment, I let the saw cycle for 15 seconds or so to ensure stability. After the cut, the bearings are not in the same place. The guide unit is firmly attached to the shaft so I don't think the unit is moving. The bearings, however, are moving. I've used industrial quality bearings in the past but this didn't make any difference at all.

I'd try Carter's but they are too spendy at the moment so I was hoping something like cool blocks would be a less expensive alternative.

Burt

Wade Lippman
03-23-2008, 4:47 PM
The guides on my Delta 14" used to move around cause the nut that locked them in place vibrated open in use.

Sold the sucker and bought a Grizzly 0514X. It doesn't move.
If that isn't practical, try locktite.

Like everyone said, unless you fix the problem changing the guides won't help.