PDA

View Full Version : Helpppppp on hinges

Al Willits
03-22-2008, 5:45 PM
TV stand was going great till I hit the hinges, I installed the non mortise hinge from Rockler on one of the two doors and it works almost just great, it gets about a 1/2" from closing and starts feel like it binding, door swings easily up till that point, door doesn't seem to hit any thing it just starts to bind???

I've got the outer holes on the frame and the inner holes are screwed to the door...maybe wrong??

This is like the hinge I'm using below, any suggestions???
TIA

Al...who really hates hinges now :)

Chris Rosenberger
03-22-2008, 5:51 PM
Al,
Are the screws flush with the hinge. If the door is not hitting. The only thing it could be are the screws.
Chris

Greg Heppeard
03-22-2008, 5:51 PM
I usually install this type of hinge opposite the way you did, but it shouldn't matter. One thing to make sure is that all your screw heads are absolutely flush with the hinge...this could cause your binding. Another thing is maybe the door edge or frame is warped slightly. Just a couple of things to check.

Al Willits
03-22-2008, 6:02 PM
OK thanks, I'll go check, seems the screws were flush and the doors straight, but maybe the frames a bit off.

Thanks for the quick response.

Al

Paul Girouard
03-22-2008, 6:15 PM
Take a dollar bill and see if the wood is pinching when you close the door , it should slide easily thru the crack between the door and the face frame.

Could you have them cocked to each other? Not in plane , that or the other things mentioned all could call binding.

Al Willits
03-22-2008, 7:38 PM
Everything looks straight, but I think Paul your hitting the problem, I'm putting these things on with out a clue as to how it should be correctly done.

I've looked though every wood mag I have, and can't find a step by step how to article, so its been trial and error.

I put the hinges on the frame and can't get them on the door accurate, so I put them on the door and the frame gets off.

I figure there's a way to get all this together straight, but darn if I know how.

I finally got frustrated enough I shut the garage down before I made firewood out of it, I'll keep looking for a procedure, but if anybody has any suggestions I'd appreciate it greatly.

Oh...the cabinet has two doors and they are flush with the main frame, I'm planning on using magnets to keep them closed and they'll swing out just like a 2 door kitchen cabinet...hopefully. :)

Thanks again.

Al

Pete Stack
03-22-2008, 7:51 PM
Hey Al!

Perhaps you could try to put a slight--and I mean slight!!!--bevel on the hinge side of the cabinet door. Might just get you out of a bind!

Paul Girouard
03-22-2008, 8:08 PM
Everything looks straight, but I think Paul your hitting the problem, I'm putting these things on with out a clue as to how it should be correctly done.

I put the hinges on the frame and can't get them on the door accurate, so I put them on the door and the frame gets off.

I figure there's a way to get all this together straight, but darn if I know how.

I'll keep looking for a procedure, but if anybody has any suggestions I'd appreciate it greatly.

What I do when I use those type hinges , as use my combination square to mark the set back from the door edge , I mount the large / outer part on the door , figuring it will provide the most support for both the hinge and the door to work as "one" , the tricky part is now how to set the gap and mark both other leafs on the cabinet. That's hard to discribe in words and depending on yor exact cabinet some ideas may not work , but if you can figure out a way to gauge that get the other leafs marked then hold the door with both hinges mounted on it and drive one screw into each other leaf , then try the door , it should close and the hinges "find thier place" in plane with one another. Then drive the ramaining screws.

Hope that helps , good luck.

Al Willits
03-22-2008, 8:10 PM
Hey Al!

Perhaps you could try to put a slight--and I mean slight!!!--bevel on the hinge side of the cabinet door. Might just get you out of a bind!

OK, but before I slightly bevel the wrong side :D do you mean the taper would be the most at the back side of the door hinge face?

er.....that confused me even.....

The edge next to the hinge pin would have the most taper ?
Or something like that...:)

Thanks

Al

Al Willits
03-22-2008, 9:38 PM
Paul, sounds like a better idea than I have been doing, I'll give that a shot tomm if I can sneak out to the garage :D
Thanks
Al

Glen Blanchard
03-22-2008, 9:54 PM
I've looked though every wood mag I have, and can't find a step by step how to article, so its been trial and error.

I have found the following book to be a wonderful resource.

http://www.amazon.com/Tauntons-Complete-Illustrated-Choosing-Installing/dp/1561585610/ref=pd_bbs_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206237182&sr=8-11

Paul Girouard
03-22-2008, 11:57 PM
Paul, sounds like a better idea than I have been doing, I'll give that a shot tomm if I can sneak out to the garage :D
Thanks
Al

I mount them this way , the how to hold and mark them is the hard part , ever cabinet style / type has it's own challenges

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/Mar222008BobGraceTVcabinets16.jpg

Nice burns on the Cherry rabbits for the glass Paul:rolleyes: :ogood thing it wasn't a For Sale item just a gift for my wife.:)

Al Willits
03-23-2008, 7:20 PM
Thanks Paul, holding them while marking is indeed the hard part.:D
Giving some thought to maybe mounting the hinge on the door them applying a little dab of glue on the frame hinge and placing the door in the correct position and seeing if the glue will hold it in place long enough to mark??

This another one of my hair brained idea's or ya think it might work??

Al

Paul Girouard
03-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks Paul, holding them while marking is indeed the hard part.:D
Giving some thought to maybe mounting the hinge on the door them applying a little dab of glue on the frame hinge and placing the door in the correct position and seeing if the glue will hold it in place long enough to mark??

This another one of my hair brained idea's or ya think it might work??

Al

I don't think it will , but if your dedicated to the idea it may work for you.

I generally either lay the cabinet on it's back and cut props that hold the door the right height or in my case on the box I pictured cut props that where the height of the lower base area , again the right height , then all I had to "hold" was the left to right adjustment, which IIRC was really the hinge barrel gently touching the cabinet case.

If you can post a photo I may be able to be of more help with ideas , but not knowning your specfic details I'm shooting from the hip in that reguard.

Good luck.

Al Willits
03-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Hopefully this picture will work, its a 6 sided corner cabinet, TV is on top and electroinics inside.

This is the project I took the plans from.

Oh...remove the top half of this cabinet, I modifed the top trim to use as the top edge for the half cabinet.
The doors are going to be flush with the face frame also.
But the bottom doors are what I'm using, cabinet is about 31" tall.

Hope this helps.

Al

Ben Grunow
03-24-2008, 8:14 PM
I would have tried to hang those doors prior to finishing and allow for a slight overlap to be trimmed/planed/sanded to leave the right reveal.

Coould also use a couple blocks of wood to locate the doors and mark the cabinet and door at the same time with a knife for the top of the hinges.

Some cheaper hinges have a little slop that will cause big problems for inset doors so remember to take up the slop when marking (apply slight pressure as if the door were hanging on the hinge).

Also install the hinges with only one screw in each side (one in door and one in frame) so you have 2 more to make adjustments with until perfect- then add the rest.

Al Willits
03-27-2008, 1:45 PM
Well....after more time and holes drilled/filled/redrilled I'm coming to the concusion that there is no simple way to mount doors.
I'm thinking next time maybe try them before the cabinet is complete and maybe mount the doors on the frame before the cabinet is done....and make them a bit large so I can trim if/when needed...

I've admitted defeat and now have 2 sets of blum euro hinges with instructions that I'll use...key here I think is the instructions part...:)

I think had I known before what I know now, it might have been easier, so next time hopefully will go better.

I figured it was time to try something else, considering I was looking for gas for the chain saw.:)

Once again, thanks all.

Al