PDA

View Full Version : Shaped vignette effects

Doug Fennell
03-22-2008, 4:34 PM
Anyone know how to do shaped vingette effects in photoshop, corel coreldraw or corel photopaint?

Drivning me nuts. I've got some of the 10" marble heart shapes from lasersketch, and I'd like to creat a vignette effect on the photos in a heart shape.

Here's what I've done so far...

I've taken a pic of the heart, sized it to exactly 10", and created a vector of it. I can now size the vector heart shape to anythign I want and fit it perfectly in the center of the screen - but no idea how to use it for the effect. And ideas?

Bruce Volden
03-22-2008, 4:56 PM
Doug

I don't know that you can do a vignette in a heart shape :confused: I think that square, rectangle, oval and round are the only shapes available.

But I will be following this thread!!!

Bruce

James Mooney
03-22-2008, 5:12 PM
1) Draw/import path of the desired shape.
2) Convert path to selection.
3) Create layer mask
5) Apply gaussian blur to layer mask adjusting amount to achieve the desired effect.

Done!

Doug Griffith
03-22-2008, 7:33 PM
In Photoshop you can also:
1) bring the vector in as a path
2) stroke the path with a soft airbrush - repeat as needed
3) load the same path as a selection
4) invert selection
5) delete

If you go the blur route mentioned by James, save the selection first because you may want to do steps 4 & 5 above.

Cheers

Jack Harper
03-22-2008, 8:55 PM
If you think you will be dong these often and in different shapes, check out onOne software. They have a border plug-in that will give you literally thousands of border choices and shapes. This is the fastest way I know to create a soft edge to fade into the natural stone. You can customize the filters as well. Once you have what you want, you will be able to repeat the process every time with exact consistency. If you buy the professional version you will get hundreds of additional edge effects created by several well known artists.

Stephen Beckham
03-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Epilog Laser had a tip on doing this using the power clip.

They showed how to make your own shape. Do a fade from clear to white and then power clip your photo to that shape. The desired effect was clear in the middle and faded to white around the edges.

I didn't have much luck following their directions, but finally figured it out. I can dig it up if you'd like - I believe it was in of their montly newsletters on powerclipping...

Steve