PDA

View Full Version : Build Bokuto/Bokken

Jose Luis
03-22-2008, 3:15 PM
Hi guys, i want to build large quantity of Bokuto (Wood Samurai Sword), and i want to create some way thta can do it fast and similar to the others (Using templates or something like that).

i searched on google but cant find some good tips about how can do it in that way.

I was thinking to make it straight and later just Curve it using water or Vapor and clamp it to an mold.

What do you think. Any tip will be appreciated

Joe Chritz
03-22-2008, 3:21 PM
Either laminate it with a bending form or if the curve is gradual enough find someone with a 4 axis CNC and farm it out.

Joe

Jose Luis
03-22-2008, 3:25 PM
Using an 4 Axis CNC will be expensive. i was thinkng about make it straight and later curve it. So i can get the graing od the wood with the shape of the sword.

(sorry for my english)

Rob Mathis
03-22-2008, 7:45 PM
Jose, having made many over the years. I have spent close to 30 yrs. playing with Aiki. Then best I came up with was to make each one as single sword. I currently have 6 still hanging on my wall in my office. In the past I have used White Oak. Although today I would use another wood. Something a little harder.

Good Luck on your journey.

Jose Luis
03-22-2008, 9:19 PM
Jose, having made many over the years. I have spent close to 30 yrs. playing with Aiki. Then best I came up with was to make each one as single sword. I currently have 6 still hanging on my wall in my office. In the past I have used White Oak. Although today I would use another wood. Something a little harder.

Good Luck on your journey.

well i wanna build like 50 Bokkens, cant spend all my life making it :)

I need some way to make it with just power tools. and need to have good quality

Stan Welborn
03-22-2008, 9:54 PM
I'd use hickory. Maybe a template and router to cut out the blanks?

Brian Penning
03-22-2008, 10:09 PM
I found this link, Hope it helps...

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~kataylor/bokuto.htm (http://www.uoguelph.ca/%7Ekataylor/bokuto.htm)

Jose Luis
03-23-2008, 12:16 AM
I'd use hickory. Maybe a template and router to cut out the blanks?

Well i was thinking about do something like that.

Use the Jig Saw (i dont have an band saw and maybe if purchase some i will spend too much money, i wanna buy another router to build an table router).

To cut the wood, and later with the tamplate made with MDF with the shape of the bokken just refine the wood using the Router. with that way i can make the curve of the swords with the router, but i think that the wood grain will not so good (will be better if can curve the wood using some press and vapor or water) so the grain will perfectly match the shape of the sword. but if do it in that way i can use an tamplate to make the wood straight and later curve it.

My english sux, right? :)