PDA

View Full Version : This "Gloat" was enough to pull me off the lathe.

Don Farr
03-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Several months ago I did a post about tractors and what to buy. Well this is what I finally decided on. John Deere 790 4X4 with frontend loader and all the attachments.

Bart Leetch
03-22-2004, 12:18 PM
"Man only needs two tools, WD40 and duct tape. If it should move and doesn't use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't then use duct tape."
Don

That doesn't look anything like WD40 or Duct tape. Now you need a green can of WD40 & green duct tape. :p :p :p

Keith Outten
03-22-2004, 1:02 PM
Don,

Very Nice! You must be "Smilin like unto a possum" these days :)

Dennis Peacock
03-22-2004, 1:12 PM
Way to go Don..!!!!! Now all you need is a finishing mower and a Lathe attachment for the tractor and you'll be all set..!!! :)

Congrats and I sure wish I had a tractor that size.

Don Farr
03-22-2004, 1:27 PM
"Man only needs two tools, WD40 and duct tape. If it should move and doesn't use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't then use duct tape."
Don

That doesn't look anything like WD40 or Duct tape. Now you need a green can of WD40 & green duct tape. :p :p :p

Yea Bart I know. I guess now with a shop full of tools and now this, I am going to be forced to change my sig. :confused:

Don Farr
03-22-2004, 1:43 PM
Thanks Kieth and Dennis, I am very happy with it. On my long, long look for a tractor I came very close several times at buying something that would not have been right for me. A banker friend of mine told me about this tractor dealership and I went to see them. I told them what I needed it for and they made suggestions. No pressure salesman.
I thought about it for a couple of weeks and went out and bought it.

I have wanted one for a long time but believe me...the need was rapidly outgrowing the want.

Jim Becker
03-22-2004, 2:43 PM
A fine addition to your tool collection! And you'll find it quite useful for unloading new woodworking tools from trucks as well as carting large turning blanks. What's not to like about that? :D

Steve Clardy
03-22-2004, 6:18 PM
Looking good Don. Oh ya, if those trees behind were a little bigger, you could skid a few logs up!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Don Farr
03-22-2004, 6:27 PM
A fine addition to your tool collection! And you'll find it quite useful for unloading new woodworking tools from trucks as well as carting large turning blanks. What's not to like about that? :D
Thanks Jim, I always value your opinion very much. This was something that I struggled with for a long, long time. I did not want to invest this much in a tractor at this time, but now I feel that I made the Right decision.

John Weber
03-22-2004, 9:43 PM
Don,

Most excellent gloat. Looks like a real beaut.

John

Jim Becker
03-22-2004, 10:02 PM
I did not want to invest this much in a tractor at this time, but now I feel that I made the Right decision.

If you spend a little time at tractorbynet.com, you'll find that's what they all say!! hee hee I never dreamed I'd own a machine like mine, but you know...I'm glad I do. It really gets used around here. Believe it or not, mowing is only sundry as compared to the time that the FEL gets used by LOML and I both. I haven't used the 'hoe that much, (the trench for the new shop electrical service was the largest job) but it's come in handy a few times and I have some projects lined up for this year that will fully utilize it. Things like taking out a couple of large walnut and maple stumps that will yield some mighty fine turning stock...:D

Charles McKinley
03-22-2004, 10:58 PM
Hi Don,

Green paint sure is expensive but it holds its value well. You will be pleased with it especially if the need really was outweighing the want. What transmission did you get? New? All the Toys?

Enjoy

Tom Pritchard
03-23-2004, 9:42 PM
Don, that tractor is absolutely beautiful! Man, am I ever green with envy! I just purchased a (very) used John Deere 430 tractor with a 54" blade and a 60" mower deck, and I could only look and dream of a 790. Congratulations Don, it's a beauty!