View Full Version : Waste Block

Everette Harmon
03-22-2008, 1:44 PM
Has anyone used MDF for a waste block?
Thanks
Everette

Harvey M. Taylor
03-22-2008, 3:51 PM
No and I dont intend to. That material is nothing but sawdust chips and glue. Probably the least torque and it comes atcha. Dont even think of it. My two dollars worth after taxes, Max

Harvey M. Taylor
03-22-2008, 4:00 PM
Get a 2 in. hole saw and cut some donuts with it and use as waste block. Remember to drill almost all the way thru, until the drill bit comes thru the other side. Then turn the stock over and finish on the other side. It will come out of the holesaw better. Max

Glenn Hodges
03-22-2008, 5:24 PM
No, I turn mine on the lathe from good hardwood.

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-22-2008, 5:34 PM
Has anyone used MDF for a waste block?
Thanks
Everette

Everette, I use a lot of MDF, but it definitely has it's limitations. It's easy to use for small waste blocks. I typically use it to temporarily hold individual segmented rings, but not tall completed turnings. It will easily split if required to hold weight extending out, but for flat stuff it's great. Don't take a chance with large wood blocks.

Jim Becker
03-22-2008, 6:00 PM
MDF has a lot of good uses, but this is not one of them. It will split apart too easily for this purpose.

Everette Harmon
03-22-2008, 6:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was just gluing up a vase this afternoon and saw all this mdf in the shop and thought, why should I waste good wood when I have mdf. Guess it was a bad thought. Thanks again.
Everette

Ben Gastfriend
03-22-2008, 7:25 PM
Please do not! That's how I got the big black and blue on my chest. :eek: