PDA

View Full Version : Will this work for cutting wedges on tablesaw?

Lewis Cobb
03-22-2008, 11:14 AM
I know that the safer way to cut wedges is on a bandsaw, but the poor excuse I have for one is currently on loan to a buddy of mine 70 miles away, and I have to cut a mess of wedges to make some clamps for a project I have been working on.

Will something like this work on the tablesaw? It would hold the wood at an angle and have a little lid glued on to keep the wedge trapped so it does not become a projectile. The edge without a notch is run along the fence, and the blade cuts along the notched edge.

Thanks!

Lewis

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/LewisCobb/woodworking%20jigs/wedgejig1.jpg

Jamie Baalmann
03-22-2008, 11:42 AM
I have always cut shims with close to what you have drawn but be very careful riding up against the fence its easy to get twisted.... A better way is to throw a track on the bottom to ride in your miter slot. Make it a little big and cut it to size with first cut. Also throw a handle on top for a better grip.

James Suzda
03-22-2008, 3:04 PM
Your drawing looks almost like the shim cutting jig I use. Only mine is set up with a 1 1/2 inch base so I can cut wider weges. The jig is safe to use because it traps and holds the shim until it passes the blade where it falls away.

Lewis Cobb
03-22-2008, 8:16 PM
Thanks for the advice on this wedge cutter lads. I just came in from the workshop where I made it and gave it a try. Only a couple of issues - first was being too keen, not watching what I was doing and jigsawing into the edge of my workbench :eek: - it's a beater bench anyway - not some fancy hardwood top thing. Second was the tendency for the wood to burn a little - I can't really figure out why because it's not a problem when I rip hardwood and the blade is at 90 degrees for both operations. I'll investigate that more tomorrow - might have to give the alignment a check anyway.

The wedges turned out ok - good enough for the clamping operation that I needed them for.

I'll add a handle and make a larger version for wider wedges in the near future. This is a handy jig. And I am glad to see others are using the same concept. Gives me comfort that I am not building some suicide machine ...

Thanks again,
Lewis

Jamie Baalmann
03-22-2008, 8:52 PM
I don't know if I would say you aren't building a suicide machine... I have seen several workers get hurt making shims in this way. Get twisted a little bit and BANG. Never done it myself but I am always extremely careful once that power button comes on

Lewis Cobb
03-22-2008, 9:59 PM
I don't know if I would say you aren't building a suicide machine... I have seen several workers get hurt making shims in this way. Get twisted a little bit and BANG. Never done it myself but I am always extremely careful once that power button comes on

Jamie - I hear you. The one tool in the shop that scares me the most is the tablesaw. In fact my rear end still puckers a bit when I hit the power switch and see that blade spinning up. I am always very careful to stand off to one side in case something gets launched, although like you, it never has.

Once I get my bandsaw (hopefully next month) I'll probably do stuff like this on that.

Cheers,
Lewis