PDA

View Full Version : A non-purchase gloat

John Dorough
03-22-2008, 10:45 AM
As a new member to SMC (and to woodworking), I enjoy the gloats. Well, my first gloat is really a reverse gloat, with words of appreciation to SMC members.

I attended The Woodworking Shows production in Tampa yesterday, and was sorely tempted to make several purchases of items that looked impressive to me as a novice woodworker. At some point, however, it hit me that I really don't have the experience and expertise to know whether the products are as good (slick presenters at wood shows can make any item look indispensible to me) or as practical (how much will I really use the item?) as they appeared.

I resisted temptation and came home empty handed. I searched for threads about the items in which I was interested, and have gained a lot of valuable information and context.

I plan to post some questions of my own on SMC about a couple of the products, and look forward to the excellent responses of the SMC crew. In the meantime, thanks to SMC for putting reasonable caution in my mind.

John

Stephen Edwards
03-22-2008, 10:53 AM
John,

Like you, I too appreciate and enjoy the many perspectives that one can gain by reading the threads on SMC. There is a lot of very useful information here that has helped me a lot. I've found that there are often very low cost solutions for seemingly expensive problems.

Scott Vigder
03-22-2008, 8:46 PM
Sorry, but a goat's not a gloat without pix :D

Scott Vigder
03-22-2008, 8:49 PM
Welcome to the Creek!

Sorry, but a goat's not a gloat without pix :D.

Jim Evans
03-22-2008, 8:51 PM
I'm butting in here... but for those gotta have a picture guys; will this work?

http://www.shoppinghandbag.co.za/Products/Empty_Bag.jpg