PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Comments on Delta's new Drill Press

Derrell Clark
03-22-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm considering buying Delta's new drill press model 17-959L. This is the new model that has the laser alignment device, manual belt change and tilting table. (I have heard that the new variable speed model has be delayed again and is undergoing more design work.) I've looked at the Powermatic but it has a much shorter quill travel and does not have an easy method to lock the quill (I'm not referring to the depth stop). The delta has a small locking handle on the side of the main casting that makes it easy to lock the quill with one hand. I also like the 4-way tilting table on the Delta. I rarely change speeds so the variable speed feature on the Powermatic is not that important.

My concern is quality. All the new equipment is made in China and quality has dropped in recent years. There are only three user reviews on Amazon and I haven't been able to find any further user input other than a passing mention in this forum.

Any comments anyone could add from first hand ownership, use or observation would be greatly appreciated before I spend my money and find I've bought a problem.

glenn bradley
03-22-2008, 10:17 AM
I have the close cousin, the 17-950 which has 1/4" less quill to post distance and 1/4 less HP. The table is great and everything works well. The table raise/lower crank is offset so it doesn't come as close to the table as other designs. A small feature but very helpful. The lasers are accurate and stay put but the line thickness is a fat 1/64th. Not bad and about on par with other lasers I have worked with.

The half horse has no trouble with 1-3/8" forstners into oak (more power is always better though, grunt, grunt). You mention that you don't change speeds often. This of course depends on what you do but I use a wide range of bit diameters and types. The belts change quickly and easily and I do it frequently. I would spend the variable speed money on something more important.

Derrell Clark
03-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks Glenn for the comments. I sounds like you are happy with your drill press. The table crank was another feature I liked about the Delta when compared to the Powermatic. Delta's works smother and with less effort. I change table heights frequently and that is very important to me.

Lance Norris
03-22-2008, 2:26 PM
Derrell... I also have the Delta 17-950L like Glenn has. I like it alot. The reason I bought it was the table. The "t" slots sure make thing easy, and after I bought it I discovered something else that really makes things great. The table has that replaceable wood insert. Well... below the insert, the throat is 4" diameter. I used a 4" sheet metal takeoff and now have a 4" dust colletion hose attached to the opening. It works so well that I think every woodworking drill press should have this feature. I use my drill press to drum sand and absolutely NO dust escapes. Its also nice when drilling, especially with larger bits like forstners. Open blast gate, turn on collector, and chips--gone. Which ever Delta press you buy, make sure you get one with this table.

Ron Bontz
03-22-2008, 2:55 PM
Hi. I have the 959L myself. The bottom line is I LIKE IT. I like the option of the forward tilt. I bought that one A) because I wanted the pulley belt drive. (I'm still a little old fashioned) B) My local tool store sold me this one for 450.00. I had been asking them to get one in for me for months. I have to admit I was not sure if I would even want the laser, but now that I have it I find it useful.
The only regret I have is that it does not have the same size table as the 20" model. I of course like the longer quill travel. The only other thing I could think of on the possibly negative side is lack of a split head. Not a big deal for me.
I do think though that there are several good choices for drill presses out there. Shop around.

Derrell Clark
03-22-2008, 6:13 PM
Lance, what a great idea with the dust collection. I'll give that a try. It's good to hear the table works well.

Ron, glad you contributed because you have the new model with the new head. It's reassuring to knows it's working OK. I understand the laser is powered by a 9 volt battery on the 17-950. Is the 17-959L laser also battery powered? I also read the light is not plugged into the main power source and requires a separate cord. It this correct? Thanks for you help.

Nancy Laird
03-22-2008, 6:20 PM
Derrell, May I suggest that before you buy, take a good look at the Steel City 17" DP. It also has a 3/4hp motor, and a 6" quill travel, as compared to the Delta's 4-7/8" travel. It's also about $80 less expensive than the Delta. In addition, the laser cross-hair is only $50.00 for the SCTW machine, which brings your total to less $$$ for a better machine.

See the DP specs here: https://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=020-520&search=Machinery%20-%20Drill%20Presses

Nancy

Derrell Clark
03-22-2008, 6:35 PM
Thanks for the tip. I will check out their web page. From what I can see it does have a quill lock which is important to me. I also noted they have a 5 year warranty.

mark page
03-22-2008, 6:52 PM
I also have the 17-950L model and it has been great for me too. I use mine more for forstner bit drillings than anything and it handles large bits just fine. It has a larger than usual table that is nice, but I do want to upgrade to a custom table, just isn't on my short to do list yet. IIRC Glenn has a table from Woodpeckers that is super nice and caught my eye. It's in one of his posts here if you research a little.

Eric Haycraft
03-22-2008, 7:08 PM
Lance, what a great idea with the dust collection. I'll give that a try. It's good to hear the table works well.

Ron, glad you contributed because you have the new model with the new head. It's reassuring to knows it's working OK. I understand the laser is powered by a 9 volt battery on the 17-950. Is the 17-959L laser also battery powered? I also read the light is not plugged into the main power source and requires a separate cord. It this correct? Thanks for you help.

It has no batteries. It plugs in and there is a nice switch by the on/off button to control it. The laser is nice, but a PITA to calibrate since the mounts are plastic. It has more vibration than I would like, so I think that I need to put some link belts on it.

Ron Bontz
03-22-2008, 8:33 PM
Yes the laser has it's own electric cord and plugs right into the wall. The laser was easy to set up and seems to speed things up a bit when I have multiple holes to drill. It has also alerted me when I have somehow managed to bump my fence guide and stops changing my jig/guide settings. When I raise and lower the table I always center the laser on the replaceable insert. This way if I do have to move the table up or down for say that counter sink I forgot to do I don't necessarily have to worry about re setting my stops etc. I have already made one little horizontal clamping jig taking advantage of those heavy duty T-slots in the table. As I said though if I had the money I would have had them switch the table to the wider one. The 959L in my opinion is a step up from the 950 and should be coming stock with the wider table. Then again it would be easy to say I should have bought the 20". WHERE DOES IT ALL END?:D

Dave MacArthur
03-22-2008, 9:37 PM
I have the 17-950L like Glenn above, and I love it.
-the full-motion table is nice
-I like the clamping edge to the table also, designed for woodworking not metal
-slots in table, 4" center wood insert for drill thru (and dust collection as noted above), and smooth rack/pinion adjustment is nice.
-Laser, 9v, but that will last a loooooong time. I left mine on for a few days, still fine.

-Has a nice light, but with a separate cord. NO PROBLEM--I just drilled a 3/8" hole in the switch cover, routed the cord for the light the 3" into the box, and hooked it up pre-switch with 3 wire nuts. Now it's one plug, and MUCH better.
- one advantage: Glenn and several others have posted nice threads on making a mobile base for the thing, some with a drill-cabinet on tip ;)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=595525&highlight=Delta+17-950L+drill+press#post595525

Lastly: the Amazon price is $399.99; I bought mine on sale at Lowes for $230 -- just found the green "sale/clearance" tag on the display one, bought one in a box for that.

Derrell Clark
03-23-2008, 9:23 AM
Wow! Thanks everyone for the great info. Dave, the tip about wiring the light to the master switch is a good idea. Nancy, thanks for the message.

In regards to power for the laser I was able to finally work my way through Delta's web pages and found the 17-959L Owner's Manual. This was no small task. Here is a link for others who may be interested. In contains some good info and shows the laser is now wired to power jack in the head. There is a wire coming out of the head plugs into the laser. There appears to be some minor changes from the floor model I saw a month ago and the pictures in the manual so even the laser power set up could have changed.

Link to the Owner's Manual

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/documents/English/Instruction%20Manual/Delta/A16667,17-959L.pdf