PDA

View Full Version : Cradle Finally Done!!! W/Pics

Robert Goodwin
03-22-2004, 9:51 AM
I started this cradle about 6 months ago when some friends of ours told us the news that they were expecting their first. It was a long road to get to this point for them, and my wife and I wanted to do something special for them.

I started looking around at plans for cradles and did not find what I was looking for. I enjoy designing my own plans but was little hesitant with all of the safety concerns. I did a little research on the safety aspects of cradles and cribs and decided to just draw up some of my own sketches.

The following is what came out of my head. It is my second real furniture project. I have been building some shop stuff and doing a little trim carpentry for the house for the past couple of years, so it was nice to get working on a project that was going to get used somewhere other then the shop.

http://users.cableaz.com/~rgoodwin/Cradle1.jpg

The wood is cherry and maple with a BLO followed by shellac finish. This was the first time I tried for a gloss finish and was happy with the results. Note to self: Do not store your dry flakes in your garage when living in the desert. I ended up with a glob of gooey shellac that would never dissolve. What made is worse is that I have a small fridge in the garage and never thought to put them in there. Anyway, an emergency trip to HD had me trying Zizzners(sp?) and I was happy with the product. I made sure the date on the can was from this century.

The following is the leg detail that I “borrowed:” from some of Maloof’s designs. I have fallen in love with his furniture style and tried to emulate his cradle leg detail. Still no matter how many times I redrew it, I was unable to get the “light” feeling his design has. Oh well , maybe next time.

http://users.cableaz.com/~rgoodwin/Cradle2.jpg

The following are a few other angles of the cradle.

http://users.cableaz.com/~rgoodwin/Cradle3.jpg

http://users.cableaz.com/~rgoodwin/Cradle4.jpg

http://users.cableaz.com/~rgoodwin/Cradle5.jpg

I learned A LOT on this project and had a blast building it. I love seeing what all of you do when you post pictures, so I figured I’d share my latest with you. I would not have been able to finish it on time If it wasn’t for the help of you creekers.

THANK YOU!

Todd Burch
03-22-2004, 10:06 AM
Robert, GREAT JOB!! I like the maple plugs in the cherry. Over time, as the cherry darkens, they will even stand out more. Reminds me of vanilla chip cookies! I'm sure they couple you are giving it to will treasure it for years. I've given away 4 cradles, and each time, it makes an impression and a bond that will last forever. I like the shape of the legs too. I think you did JUST FINE!

By the way - is that a 15° angle of the sides?

Dave Richards
03-22-2004, 10:06 AM
I like it. Good job. I love the wood, too.

Are the legs splined together?

Tyler Howell
03-22-2004, 10:13 AM
Robert
Beautimus, The new cherished off spring is being treated like royalty. Beautiful design and wonderful execution.

Andy London
03-22-2004, 10:16 AM
Excellent job, looks really sharp. I can't tell from the photo so you probably already thought of this but there should be an insert peg from the uprights to the cradle to stop it from rocking....just a safety point.

Andy

Tyler Howell
03-22-2004, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=Todd Burch]. Reminds me of vanilla chip cookies!

Todd, Do those cookies have Macadamian nuts?? One of my favorites.

Robert Goodwin
03-22-2004, 10:20 AM
Excellent job, looks really sharp. I can't tell from the photo so you probably already thought of this but there should be an insert peg from the uprights to the cradle to stop it from rocking....just a safety point.

Andy

Yes, there is one on the other side. I read a safety guide that said if you can place the weight of a child to one side and not have the cradle rock by more then 10 degress, you do not need one. I was sure I was going to pass this test because the cradle is sooo heavy, but it failed. I have some other pics of this but are with the regular camera and have not been developed yet.

Robert Goodwin
03-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Robert, GREAT JOB!! I like the maple plugs in the cherry. Over time, as the cherry darkens, they will even stand out more. Reminds me of vanilla chip cookies! I'm sure they couple you are giving it to will treasure it for years. I've given away 4 cradles, and each time, it makes an impression and a bond that will last forever. I like the shape of the legs too. I think you did JUST FINE!

By the way - is that a 15° angle of the sides?

Good eye, it is 13. I meant it to be 15, then ripped the side panels to final width and "Dohh" Cut a but too much :) . For me, it will have to be measure 4 times cut once. Now they are 13 degrees.

Robert Goodwin
03-22-2004, 10:25 AM
I like it. Good job. I love the wood, too.

Are the legs splined together?

I have a floating tennon in the legs that are doweled with the center plug. The plug on either side are for decoration rather then function.

Rob Littleton
03-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Dang, that is stunning....

I wouldnt want my kid to grow out it if it was for mine.

That is beautiful.

Robert Goodwin
03-22-2004, 12:22 PM

Andy

I relooked at the current pictures and realized, this was taken before I added the locking peg. There is one on the final product. I t was strussfull drilling into something that was complete. I pictured large amounts of tear out from the drill bit. There was a big sigh when it was done.

Howard Rosenberg
03-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Thank you for sharing your photos.
You did a great job - the legs look just right. The plugs are a nice touch and the 13-degrees looks sensational. Howard

Chris Padilla
03-22-2004, 1:09 PM
Robert,

I'll echo the others: outstanding work! I was just about to ask you if you could keep it from rocking.

I notice you have an Incra TS-3a fence on your Grizzly saw...I have that exact combo in my shop as well. Wonderful, ain't it?! :D

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-22-2004, 2:19 PM
Just beautiful
What heirloom.
Daniel :cool:

Bruce Page
03-22-2004, 2:38 PM
Robert, that’s one beautiful cradle there. I built a similar one last year for my granddaughter – it was one of the most rewarding projects I have ever done. It’s a shame that they only use the cradle for a few months, I guess that’s where the heirloom part comes into play…

Robert Goodwin
03-22-2004, 3:05 PM
Robert,

I'll echo the others: outstanding work! I was just about to ask you if you could keep it from rocking.

I notice you have an Incra TS-3a fence on your Grizzly saw...I have that exact combo in my shop as well. Wonderful, ain't it?! :D

Thanks,

I love the Incra. I can see how it might not be for everybody. But sense I am just a hobbiest, I like the added precision and repeatablility I get with the fence. Granted, with more experience I might not cut parts out of order and not need the repeatability. But for now, its nice to know I can make parts out of order, or screw up a part and be able to repeat the cut.

And as far as the saw, I could not be happier.

Robert Goodwin
03-22-2004, 3:23 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words. I got a lot of satisfaction from this project, and the father to be has been by my cube a couple of times to day offering thanks. Ain’t woodworking fun!!!

Thanks Again!

Dick Parr
03-22-2004, 5:24 PM
Very, very nice Robert!

Jeff Skory
03-22-2004, 7:54 PM
Very pretty Robert. Nice workmanship.