PDA

View Full Version : Hello Stanley Bedrock Experts

Dewey Torres
03-22-2008, 1:22 AM
I have been looking for a Stanley Bedrock hand plane for use... not to place on a shelf. I need a smoother No. 4 or 4 1/2. What should I look for to tell a fake from a gem? I don't mind buying a plane that has parts which have been replaced as long as I know what I am looking at. Some of the planes I see have the Bedrock stamp on the soul and others have it elsewhere (such as the lever cap) which is confusing. I also don't mind putting some work into the plane to get it tuned but I would rather by a plane that does not need replacement parts. Also what is the relationship (if any) between the 600 series and the numbered series? Thanks!
Dewey

Clint Jones
03-22-2008, 1:41 AM
Types 1-4 have roundsides. They will not say bedrock on the body just the number ie 604 and a patent date. They will all say bedrock on the lever cap. The frog is adjusted by removing cap and blade, loosening screws, and turning the frog adjusting screw. Type ones will just say the No. 4 like the regular bailey line but there will be a spot with a milled of patent date.

All later types are flat sided bedrocks. They will say Bedrock on the bed and the number ie. 605. The frog can be adjusted with the blade and cap in place by loosening the screws and adjusting the frog screw. The earlier flat sides will say "Stanley Bed Rock" on the cap, then they went to BEDROCK on the cap, then just Stanley with the keyhole shape, and finally Stanley and the kidney shaped hole.

I perfer the bedrock series but there is little difference between a standard bailey pattern plane.

A type study for the bedrock plane can be found here http://www.antique-used-tools.com/brtypes.htm

Hope this helps,

Clint

Dave Cav
03-22-2008, 1:45 AM
I'm not an expert, but I have a few Bedrocks, and I'll tell you what I know. First, you should take a look at Pat Leach's Blood and Gore http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html and read the first section on Stanley Bailey bench planes, and the last section on Bed Rock planes #602 through 608C. You can also check out the Bedrock Type Study here: http://www.antique-used-tools.com/brtypes.htm, which will give you a good grounding in the differences between the early and later Bedrocks. The earlier planes had rounded sides, and the later models had the squared off sides and the quick adjustment feature for the frog. If you are looking for a user, then you would probably be looking for a Type 6 or later. The numbering system between Bailey and Bedrock planes was identical with the only difference being that Bedrock plane numbers are three digit starting with 60 and the Baileys are only one digit (plus a fraction for those). So a 604 Bedrock is the same size as a #4 Bailey.

Good luck finding a 604 1/2. They are not particularly common, and very sought after. It took me over a year to find the one I wanted, and cost about $250 for a user grade plane that was sound but required a fair amount of clean up. The #604 are much more readily found, and the 605s even more so.

Have fun sliding down the slope.

Dave

Dewey Torres
03-22-2008, 3:20 AM
Where do you folks look for these types of planes? (USERS) Excluding e-bay as that is obvious. Used tools online or otherwise recommendations??? Dave, where did you end your 1 year search? Clint, any thoughts?
Dewey

George Sanders
03-22-2008, 7:17 AM
I went to an auction that only advertised power tools and, as the hand tool collectors were not in attendance, I was able to pick up a 605c and a 606c as well as a 10 1/4 carriage makers plane for less than a hundred bucks. This was three years ago during the height of the Stanley Bedrock feeding frenzy on the bay. I often check pawnshops and yard sales as often times hand tools are unappreciated and under priced. My $2 Disston d-8 is proof of that.

Terry Bigelow
03-22-2008, 9:41 AM
I have darn near a full set (just missing the 602 and 605 1/4) and ALL of mine came from the "bay". They are all square side with Bedrock levercaps. The only ones that I really paid a high price for were the 604 1/2($200) and the 605 1/2($150), the others ranged from $66-$100. However, I seek out the real rough lookin' suckers. If you're looking for a "deal" either find a beat up one or hunt elsewhere. They are highly sought after and the prices can get out of control(still can't bring myself to plop down the BIG $$$$ for the 602). Here's a pic of a couple of the rehabs:603 & 606 .The 603 wasn't too bad off to start not so much for the 606:eek:.

Johnny Kleso
03-22-2008, 11:09 AM
If your looking for a deal buy a Keen Kutter K*
Not the KK* planes

The Single K molded in to the front of the plane where made buy Stanley for Keen Kutter hardware stores and came be had for a lot less than a Bedrock.. These only come in the older round sided types

Dewey Torres
03-22-2008, 1:32 PM
I noticed you did some replacement ie (the tote/handles). How about the irons and chip breakers... esp the 606... were those clean ups? Thanks a bunch for taking the time to post pics.
Dewey

Steve Rozmiarek
03-22-2008, 2:47 PM
I went to an auction that only advertised power tools and, as the hand tool collectors were not in attendance, I was able to pick up a 605c and a 606c as well as a 10 1/4 carriage makers plane for less than a hundred bucks. This was three years ago during the height of the Stanley Bedrock feeding frenzy on the bay. I often check pawnshops and yard sales as often times hand tools are unappreciated and under priced. My $2 Disston d-8 is proof of that.

George, you are probably wanted for theft now! Nice haul!

Dave Cav
03-22-2008, 2:51 PM
I get almost all my planes from either Pat Leach or Tom Bruce. Pat is well known for his Blood and Gore site, and also has a monthly email list of tools he sends out the first of each month. Pat tends to have more high end, collectable stuff, but occasionally a user will find it's way into his offerings, and he has a LOT more stuff than he puts on the weekly list. I believe Pat does old tools as his full time job, and he approaches it as a business, but he is very easy to deal with and will not sell broken down junk. Tom operates the Jeff and Akbar site, and his tools tend to be a little more towards the user end. I don't think he updates his on-line list very often, and it is best to just email him with your requests. He doesn't do this full time, and he doesn't have a lot of the more scarce stuff that Pat has, though. As I mentioned in another post, Tom took good care of me when I needed a bunch of Handyman grade user jack and block planes for my high school shop. I eventually got my 604 1/2 from Pat after seeing it posted on his March old tool email. He went for months with no 604 1/2 planes being posted (or me being too late to try to buy them), then in March he had two, the user I got, and a very nice collectable model that still had the decal on the tote, for quite a bit more. Both guys are great to deal with, and usually ship the day after getting a confirming email from you.

What I like about dealing with Pat and Tom is that if they have it, they tell you how much it costs, and you buy it and they ship it to you for the actual cost of shipping. No "handling", no bidding, no getting sniped at the last second. If you think their price is too high, just don't buy it. If they send it and you don't like it, send it back, no problem.

George Sanders
03-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Keen Kutters with single K are very good users. I picked up a 5c at a pawnshop for all of $4. I use it far more than my other #5 planes.

Terry Bigelow
03-23-2008, 1:19 PM
I noticed you did some replacement ie (the tote/handles). How about the irons and chip breakers... esp the 606... were those clean ups? Thanks a bunch for taking the time to post pics.
Dewey
The 603 is all original, however, yes the 606 has a replacement knob & tote and has the Hock iron and chipbreaker. I have since added the Hock iron and CB to the 603 as well.

Dewey Torres
03-24-2008, 1:09 AM
I really thank all for the advice. I may be now on the lookout for a Keen Kutter (single K) and Bedrock :D... It seems as they are both great hand planes but as I have stated, I plan to USE mine. Anyone with Inlay or Marquetry questions/ problems send them my way!
Dewey

Tom Vanzant
09-10-2008, 7:05 PM
Dave,
I have Bedrock 604, 605, 606 and 607 planes, and Hock irons/breakers for all. I am looking for a lever cap with "BEDROCK" for the 606. It has the plain blank cap with keyhole, so it's close to stock. Any help or contacts would be appreciated.
Tom