PDA

View Full Version : Holiday boxes

James Sweeney
03-22-2008, 12:34 AM
I have not posted in a while, thought I would share some scroll saw boxes. First one is maple and purple heart. For my wife for valentines day. Next one is maple and figured ash(green) dyed green for St. Patricks day, gave that one to my mom. Finished the heart with General Finishes, finished the shamrock with polycrylic gloss.

tim mathis
03-22-2008, 1:22 AM
they look great

Arturo Villegas
03-22-2008, 1:40 AM
Wow.
Wish I could do that!
How do you do that ? If you dont mind.

Thanks,

:rolleyes:

James Sweeney
03-22-2008, 9:24 AM
Hey Arturo, I bought a book at Rockler on scroll saw boxes, tried a couple patterns he had in the book. The heart is one of them, you just photo copy the pattern at whatever size you wish, then cut out the patterns, glue up all the cut pieces together and start sanding, a spindle sander is REALLY helpfull, to get the outside and inside smooth. After learning from the book, then I started making my own patterns. The heart was probably my third box made on the scroll saw. They are really easy to make. Just the sanding that takes a while.

James Sweeney
03-22-2008, 9:25 AM
Here is the link to the book on Rockler:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17862&filter=scroll%20saw

Jeffrey Makiel
03-22-2008, 9:40 AM
I like them!
-Jeff :)

Lori Kleinberg
03-22-2008, 4:00 PM
Those are pretty cool looking boxes :cool:

Arturo Villegas
03-22-2008, 4:26 PM
For under 20 dollars it cant get any better.

Thanks for the info!

Raymond Fries
03-22-2008, 4:31 PM
I really like the look of the purpleheart with the maple.

Is the darker piece on the top spalted maple?

James Sweeney
03-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Raymond, I think it's spalted maple, it's definitely spalted something. I am still not real good at identifying wood species, especially spalted pieces. At the mill where I get my lumber, they just throw all the spalted stuff in a pile, mixed species. I pick through it every time I go there. The bottom of the lid is spalted also, I coulnd't fit all the pics I wanted to on the post.