PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #2 parts

Jim Earls
03-22-2004, 9:49 AM
Hey all,

I went to a yard sale this weekend and picked up a Stanley #2, type 8. It's in overall really good shape, however, the lever cap is broken and it's missing one of the frog mounting screws. I figured for $7 I couldn't go too far wrong if I could find a replacement lever cap. I have put out feelers at several Stanley spare parts sites, but so far no luck. Apparently, parts for #2's are pretty scarce. Does anyone have a source that might have these parts? Can I grind down a #3 lever cap to fit? Thanks.

Jim

Jim DeLaney
03-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Good luck on finding the part you need.

You could grind down a #3 cap. It'll work, but will still look out of proportion.

You could also check with Lie Neilson about buying a new lever cap from them. It won't be 'correct,' but it ought to function well.

As for the frog screw, those should be fairly easily gotten. I'm pretty sure they're the same size & thread pitch as other Stanley planes.

Greg Wease
03-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Jim, I see spare parts for the #2 on ebay from time to time. You might take a look there. Plan to spend more than you did for the plane--what a bargain!

Greg Wease

David Turner
03-22-2004, 3:44 PM
Jim: There are two very good sources for repair parts for Stanley planes. First is Bob Kaune. He is in Washington state and his web site is www.olympus.net/bk-tools. The other is Pete Niederberger. He can be reached at Box 887, Larkspur, CA. 94977. Good Luck, David

Jim Earls
03-23-2004, 7:38 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I tried ebay yesterday and nothing doing on #2 parts, but I'll check back. I'll try the link today after work. Push come to shove, I'll try a modified #3 and see what happens. Y'all have a good'un.

Jim