PDA

View Full Version : Tinting your own wax?

Jared Cuneo
03-21-2008, 10:23 PM
I have need for some dark wax but not really into spending $20 for a whole 12 ounces of wax which I will use infrequently. I do have various colors of transtint dyes and I was wondering if anyone has tried to tint their own wax....or should I just quit being cheap and buy the dark wax?

Anyone?

JC

Rick Thom
03-21-2008, 11:14 PM
ared, rather than using liquid dye I use artists oil colours. I normally have a tin of clear furniture finishing wax on hand, just happens to be Minwax. I put enough of that in a separate container and add some artists colour and mix them together thoroughly. They are available at any artist supply store. I stick with the earth pigments sold in tubes myself ie umber, raw umber, sienna etc.
I've found that using wax that is a few shades darker but of the same basic tone as the unwaxed item gives very nice results and enhances the appearance a lot on many projects.

btw, I'm not touting Minwax, just one of a number I have used and it's worked out ok.

glenn bradley
03-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Artists oils work. Haven't tried tints. Your mission should you decide to accept it is to experiment and report back.

Sam Yerardi
03-22-2008, 10:48 AM
I've used artist's oils as well as oil stains. I predominantly use bee's wax but it will work most any wax.

Jared Cuneo
03-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Hmm, ok Glenn, I'll try to tint some minwax with the dyes and report back....Otherwise, I will use the artist colors....

Thanks!

JC