PDA

View Full Version : Cradle Update picture

Dave Richards
03-22-2004, 9:28 AM
Here's a picture of an old fart holding the cradle I've been working on with its stand.
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/stand.sized.jpg

The stand is mostly maple but the uprights have a center layer of Lyptus®.

Not sure if it was the right thing to do but it looked good in the drawing--I tapered the uprights on the inside face only. The otside faces are parallel to each other and perpendicular to the floor and cross beam. I haven't been able to get back far enough to see if that makes it look like they are leaning out or not. On the other hand, maybe no one esle can get that far away to see it, either. :p

Jim Becker
03-22-2004, 9:37 AM
The effect of that inside taper on the uprights is extraordinary, Dave. It's amazing what it does for the eye!

Dave Richards
03-22-2004, 9:44 AM
Jim, is that good? You can see it in the picture?

Tyler Howell
03-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Jim, is that good? You can see it in the picture?
LMAO That is great Dave. Secure all lines. we're in for a blow.

Robert Goodwin
03-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Wow!!, I really like the design. How is the cradle going to be suspended from the base? That is something I fought with when designing mine.

Dave Richards
03-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Tyler, I am thinking of adding a poop deck. What do you think? :p

Robert, thank you. The cradle will be suspended from the top of the stand by a couple of lines (its only rope while it is still on the spool. After it is cut, it becomes line). there will be a piece of line that passes through holes in each of the quarter knees (the holes aren't drill yet in this picture). Then a line will be tied to the mid point of the V and lead up over a sheave in the top of the stand and down to a cleat on the upright.

If you look closely at the top of the left upright of the stand you can see a hole which is for a brass rod--the axle for the sheave. You can also sort of see the opening for the sheave itself.

I don't see any reasonn why this method of hanging couldn't work for any cradle even if it doesn't look like a boat.

http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/Labelled.sized.jpg

Robert Goodwin
03-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Sure the hanging method looks like a boat. It is just the rigging. Hang a sail from each and it would definitaly be sea worthy. I really like the unique design. I have never seen anything like it. Keep the pics comming.

Jim Hill 2
03-22-2004, 12:15 PM
Now that we have seen some spectacular woodworking, are you going to impress us with some fancy rigging? I'm sure you could make a mobile with some brightly colored monkey fists! Send us a picture when the little tot takes it for it's first sail! Great Job.

Jim

Dave Richards
03-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Monkey fists? That's a cool idea. I know how to do eye splices in 3-strand and double braid and have the tools. I was trying to figure out how to work that in.

Tyler Howell
03-22-2004, 12:41 PM
Monkey fists? That's a cool idea. I know how to do eye splices in 3-strand and double braid and have the tools. I was trying to figure out how to work that in.
You spoiled my surprise! I have been Working on...... Well I'm not going to tell you now. When I take off my Mr. Safety hat I wear the Mr. Knot one. I've been challenged but never beaten in marlin spike joinery in my sailing club. Some young bucks are up and coming after my crown. I’m alright with that. It’s time to step down. Anyway I'll be in Roch. in the next few weeks. Let's try to hook up.

Jim, Am I mistaken or are you about to increase your sailing crew size too?

Dave Richards
03-22-2004, 12:58 PM
You spoiled my surprise! I have been Working on...... Well I'm not going to tell you now. When I take off my Mr. Safety hat I wear the Mr. Knot one. I've been challenged but never beaten in marlin spike joinery in my sailing club. Some young bucks are up and coming after my crown. I’m alright with that. It’s time to step down. Anyway I'll be in Roch. in the next few weeks. Let's try to hook up.

Jim, Am I mistaken or are you about to increase your sailing crew size too?

Nuts. What surprise? Let me know when you'll be down.