PDA

View Full Version : Jet 14-inch Band Saw Question

Terry Browne
03-21-2008, 8:01 PM
I ordered a Jet 14-inch band saw from Amazon about 10 days ago and it arrived today. The saw is supposed to have a dust collection port but this one does not. I ordered part number: 708115K JWBS-14CS and this saw is 708115 JWBS-14CS. I can't call Jet for support until Monday which is a pain. Has anyone else had this problem? The Instructions and Parts Manual mentions that there is a 4-inch dust port in the machine specifications; however, that's the only place it's mentioned. I'm a little irritated at the moment.

Lance Norris
03-21-2008, 8:26 PM
Well...if you decide to keep it, you could always do this:

Bob Genovesi
03-21-2008, 8:31 PM
I have the Jet 14 inch band saw and it doesn't have a 4" dust collection port. If you look at the right hand side just under the table you'll see it. Now my 18 inch bandsaw does come with a 4 inch port standard.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Woodworking_022-650.jpg

Hope this clears things up for you.

Brian Kent
03-21-2008, 8:42 PM
I am looking at the Amazon site. In the picture and in the text there is a dust chute:

http://www.amazon.com/708115K-JWBS-14CS-Horsepower-Woodworking-Graphite/dp/B00006ANS4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1206146347&sr=8-1

On Jet Tools website there is a Dust Port in the description but it doesn't show in the picture. I assume that means it is a recent improvement.

I recommend you print out the description and picture from Amazon so you cn get what you were promised in photo and writing.

Brian

Robert Conner
03-21-2008, 9:26 PM
Terry, If you go to the Amazon site that Brian mentioned and scroll down you will see another Jet #710115K JWBS-14DX 1 1/4 HP.(click oin it). That is the one with the 4" dust port. From the photo of yours there are two pulleys in a Box, the DX model has the 4" Port to the left of the upper pulley. The DX only has one pulley. I have the DX version and there is the 4" port in that spot. My owners manual has the photo of that, I can fax you the photo if you like (I don't have a scanner). By the way mine is about 2-3 years old
Robert

Terry Browne
03-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks for all of the responses. The 4-inch port is in the location described by Mr. Conner. I was looking for the dust chute shown in the all of the photos that I've seen of the saw and couldn't see the forest for the trees. I'm a happy camper now.

Cheers!

Lance Norris
03-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Terry... its very possible that it wasnt installed at the factory. Look for a cut-out on top of the lower door, in the right upper corner. If you look at the picture I posted of my Ridgid lower door, you will see the cut-out. My saw had the same dust port, I removed it because it was in the way where my saw sits, and it wasnt very effective.

Lance Norris
03-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks for all of the responses. The 4-inch port is in the location described by Mr. Conner. I was looking for the dust chute shown in the all of the photos that I've seen of the saw and couldn't see the forest for the trees. I'm a happy camper now.

Cheers!

Cool... problem solved. Have fun. A 4" port sure is better than those 2" ones on the door.

Paul Stroik
03-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Lance...A couple of questions on your BS DC attachment. How did you cut out the hole in that metal door? And, will short bolts, lock washer and nut hold well enough? I plan to do the same operation to my Delta BS in the very near future.

Lance Norris
03-22-2008, 2:08 PM
Lance...A couple of questions on your BS DC attachment. How did you cut out the hole in that metal door? And, will short bolts, lock washer and nut hold well enough? I plan to do the same operation to my Delta BS in the very near future.

Paul, I simply drilled a starter hole and cut it with a metal blade in my Bosch jigsaw. It is a great upgrade. I get NO dust in the lower wheel compartment. I bolted mine in place with screws and nylon stop nuts. You could also use nuts and lock washers or rivet it.