PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust fan setup

Juan Lauchu
03-21-2008, 7:41 PM
I'm looking for ideas/recommendations/pictures of ways to set up an exhaust fan in my basement shop. I occassionally do some finish work and have no windows. I am looking for a better alternative than leaving the window cracked in another part of the house; particularly in the middle of winter. I mostly used water based finishes but on occasion, I may spray or brush on some protroleum based polyurethane. I checked into some "combustion proof" fans and they ran in the $600 range and up. A tad more than what I was looking for (sarcasm here:rolleyes:). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Shop is 15X30 with 8foot ceilings
No windows
Poured concrete on one end, 1/2 wall on the other (I have basement windows in another section)

Muchas Gracias!:)

Kev Godwin
03-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Jaun,
Given you reside in the upper midwest, you will be really concerned about heat loss for half of the year. One idea I had for you is the installation of a freestanding HRV (heat recovery ventilator) that does not have to be connected to any other house mechanical systems. Such a system will provide for fresh air replacement with limited loss of heat. However, you should provide for predust collection to the return to keep the internal filter from taking on floating saw dust. It will exhaust finish fumes in little order.

Such a unit will cost more than you mentioned but will provide for excellent fume exhaust. I have a method to disconnect two flex ducts from my whole house HRV and connect them to my isolated shop area. By doing this, I can keep bad smells from getting into other house areas my wife doesn't appreciate. ;) My unit is made by Honeywell. If you don't already have such a unit, you could do the dual application as I have to justify the additional cost.
Kev