PDA

View Full Version : Question about Stanley No. 10

Eric Parham
03-21-2008, 5:47 PM
I have found what I think is a Stanley No. 10 in very good user condition for 50 bucks. As far as I can tell it is a Stanley No. 10. It seems to be exactly the same as the No. 10's I can find online. There are no markings anyplace I can find. The iron is marked with the Stanley stamp but other than that there are no markings. Can someone tell me where they should be? Is it possible that early planes had no markings? Any help would be great.

-eric

Eric Parham
03-22-2008, 1:15 PM
Well I think I might just go get it anyway.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-22-2008, 2:42 PM
I have found what I think is a Stanley No. 10 in very good user condition for 50 bucks. As far as I can tell it is a Stanley No. 10. It seems to be exactly the same as the No. 10's I can find online. There are no markings anyplace I can find. The iron is marked with the Stanley stamp but other than that there are no markings. Can someone tell me where they should be? Is it possible that early planes had no markings? Any help would be great.

-eric

Eric, Stanley or not, it sounds like a good deal to me. Look on the lateral adjust lever top for a light etching of the Stanley brand. I think you won't ever find a Stanley #10, #10 1/4, or #10 1/2 with a frog adjustment screw, like on the bench planes. Nearly unmarked Stanley planes are out there, but I have never seen a Stanley completely devoid of any markings. There is a BUNCH that I do not know about Stanley planes though, so if someone has better info....

Eric Parham
03-22-2008, 5:07 PM
It might not be a Stanley I am not sure. The Iron is marked Stanley Rule and Level Company. There are no markings of any other kind and there is no lateral adjustment lever. I am just about to clean it up. I will post some pics when I get it done.

Clint Jones
03-22-2008, 5:29 PM
I would post a pic before I cleaned it up. You may have something of interest that an improper cleaning job will destroy its value. Just a thought.

Eric Parham
03-22-2008, 8:06 PM
Ok here we go, the iron is in rough shape and the quality of the plane seems sub par or just very rough compared to all my other planes. Other than that it seems to be in good overall condition. Any ideas?

Thanks.

-eric

Clint Jones
03-22-2008, 8:11 PM
The plane was probably made by a pattern maker. It looks a bit shorter than a No.10 and the cheeks are a bit higher like the old style (type 2 and earlier) stanley planes. The brass adjuster nut looks angled. The reason it looks a bit rough is because it was probably cast by a craftsman. Neat looking plane I would like to own it. -Clint

Johnny Kleso
03-22-2008, 8:17 PM
The older Stanley Planes where only marked on the blade.. Was not untill a few years they started marking the body with the name Bailey and I think that was because they started making Bedrocks if I remember correctly..

For $50 its a good deal..
Looks like it will clean up fine..

Johnny

Eric Parham
03-22-2008, 8:33 PM
The plane was probably made by a pattern maker. It looks a bit shorter than a No.10 and the cheeks are a bit higher like the old style (type 2 and earlier) stanley planes. The brass adjuster nut looks angled. The reason it looks a bit rough is because it was probably cast by a craftsman. Neat looking plane I would like to own it. -Clint

I was thinking it kinda looks like something home made. There is very little adjustment and you need to set the chip breaker just right.

Clint Jones
03-22-2008, 8:38 PM
I was thinking it kinda looks like something home made. There is very little adjustment and you need to set the chip breaker just right.

You can tell from the pictures that the inside of the casting is a bit rough and the shape isnt right for a stanley plane. The lateral lever was probably too technical and the builder probably thought it useless to add one since it isnt really necessary. It may make a decent user just try it out. If you decide to get rid of it let me know I have a thing for pattern makers tools. _Clint

Eric Parham
03-22-2008, 9:22 PM
I may keep it and use it. I really want a 10 1/4 for timber framing. I don't really "collect" tools but I do love hand tools. I seem to find everything but want I really want.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Nice plane, Eric! Excellent buy at $50. Pretty cool what those old pattern makers did. I bet there is some interesting history that goes with that plane. Any idea of it's past?

Eric Parham
03-23-2008, 9:41 AM
Nice plane, Eric! Excellent buy at $50. Pretty cool what those old pattern makers did. I bet there is some interesting history that goes with that plane. Any idea of it's past?

I have no idea about the history of it. I might be able to find out more. I have a little junk/antique shop close to me that always has a very good selection of old tools. There is a older retired gentleman who seems to find a lot of good stuff but never any bedrocks:( I sometimes feel a little bad about buying tools from him because he sells very cheap and I never know if I should just buy it or say something. I think the most expensive tool I bought from him was a Stanley 45 with most of the cutters and boxes for 100.00. That I traded for a LN 4 and some nice Disston rip saws. Normally I would not say anything but I seem to find very good deals every few months and I am starting to feel bad. What would others do?

-eric

Steve Rozmiarek
03-23-2008, 12:18 PM
I have no idea about the history of it. I might be able to find out more. I have a little junk/antique shop close to me that always has a very good selection of old tools. There is a older retired gentleman who seems to find a lot of good stuff but never any bedrocks:( I sometimes feel a little bad about buying tools from him because he sells very cheap and I never know if I should just buy it or say something. I think the most expensive tool I bought from him was a Stanley 45 with most of the cutters and boxes for 100.00. That I traded for a LN 4 and some nice Disston rip saws. Normally I would not say anything but I seem to find very good deals every few months and I am starting to feel bad. What would others do?

-eric

I guess my approach would be to protect the source. He is probably putting a markup on them as well though.

There was an old gentelman here that owned the moterload of tools, but didn't keep up with their values. He knew which ones where valuable, but not the degree. He would trade and deal, so I just started telling him what they where worth now, hoping that when he wanted to sell the good stuff, I might get a shot. It worked. Thanks to the additions from his collection, I'm currently building new tool cabinets.:D

Jim Koepke
03-23-2008, 1:13 PM
I sometimes feel a little bad about buying tools from him because he sells very cheap and I never know if I should just buy it or say something. I think the most expensive tool I bought from him was a Stanley 45 with most of the cutters and boxes for 100.00. That I traded for a LN 4 and some nice Disston rip saws. Normally I would not say anything but I seem to find very good deals every few months and I am starting to feel bad. What would others do?

Maybe mention that you like coming into his store because he has very affordable prices on the kinds of things you like. There is a little shop near Coos Bay in Oregon that I like to stop in when ever we are traveling up the coast. Last time, he had a type 6 Stanley No 4 that I picked up for $7.50. It was an ugly duck, but it has cleaned up nice and works nice. We only get that way every year or so, but we have let him know we like his shop.

My brother deals a lot in antiques and other collectables. He is always telling me about how he can not believe the way prices are. He will buy something at an auction or estate sale, and mark it up and someone will buy it from him to resell. He doesn't regret not making every penny he could. It actually seems he gets a little pleasure out of telling the tales.

jim