PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
03-22-2004, 9:16 AM
Well...another weekend has come and gone.

Boy...if these weekends come and go any faster, one would think the earth was rotating faster than normal. ;)

Spent sometime and finished up two Adhirondak chairs complete with stain. I will post pics later on this week.

Finished up all the Freedom Pen I had and will be shipping those out this week.
Made a few pens to sell.....and here they are.

Well Tyler Ol' Buddy.....I'm oncall as of today......I will be a real PITA week and the weekend will be even worse....So...I may be a bit "testy" come next Monday.!!! ;)

So what did YOU do this weekend...?

Best of Weeks to you all.....

Tyler Howell
03-22-2004, 9:33 AM
Well Tyler Ol' Buddy.....I'm oncall as of today......I will be a real PITA week and the weekend will be even worse....So...I may be a bit "testy" come next Monday.!!! ;)

Sorry Dennis! Been there, Done that, Bought that T shirt! I know exactly how you feel. Successful weekend. The parties for the former Lady Friend went off with out a hitch. Everyone had a great time. Checked off items on my punch list for the house. Scored some points with my New,Future X Lady Friend. :p Some women just don't understand this tool obsession of mine:confused:......But they all want me to bring some over to there house when something breaks.:rolleyes:
Go Figure! Have a good week folks and Dennis work safe.

Kurt Aebi
03-22-2004, 2:53 PM
Worked more on my Father-In-Law's maple bookcase. All finished machining and assembling - all done except for the finish. Clear Poly (hey, it's what he wants - so that is what he gets!).

Worked a little on the Jewelry Box for my niece's graduation. I'm going to use Tung Oil for the finish on this one. It is made from Cherry, Spalted Maple and plain maple. I will post pictures when complete. Fussy type work is all that remains.

Cleaning off some bench space for the new mini lathe (Penn State Industries that has the same spindle size as Jet & Delta). Have to get a mandrel, etc. before I start trying any pen stuff. Turned a small baseball bat out of maple as a test and it runs smooth, true and I forgor to take a picture of the bat before i chucked it into the wood stove - oh well! I have a Tiawanese el-cheapo 40" long lathe that i picked up for $20.00 that I already had the chisels for, so I didn't have to get tooled up to try the new mini. I think I am going to like it. The larger lathe has an odd-ball 3/4-10 thread spindle w/o any taper, so finding accessories for it is like impossible. The mini at least has a standard spindle arrangement that will enable me to get attachments, so I think I'l do more turny things.

The wife was doing some scroll work this w/e and broke both of her saws, so I became the scrollsaw repairman. I got the 24" running again, but had to order parts for the 16" (which, by the way is her favotite saw - of course) a friend of our's is borrowing our 20", so for a while her production was at a stand-still. She went inside the house to watch the Nextel Cup race and sand the items she had already cut.

Cut a bunch of Cherry blanks for the FP Project and will be getting about 55 more sent out this week. This will make a total of 130 Cherry blanks that I'll have sent out to help out the the project! All you other "Flat" guys out there generating scrap pieces of fine wood should also consider donating it to out turning friends for this great project. It is very rewarding to get involved.

David Spicer
03-22-2004, 4:39 PM
Finally got some shop time in but not much. Turned about 8 pens. I'm know hook on these. I didn't realize how easy it was to make one. Had my wife, turn one. Looks like I might have to buy another lathe for her. That is about it for me but I will have to agree with Dennis, these weekends keep flying by so fast that I do not know where the time went.

Dick Parr
03-22-2004, 5:19 PM
Not much time in the shop this weekend, did a little cleaning. We spent the time getting the last minuet things done with the trailer to go camping this coming weekend; everything is loaded except the food and us. Saturday it was almost 80 outside and the low in the morning was 51. The forecast called for lows in the high 40’s and low 50’s all week, so I de-winterized the trailer and got the fresh water tank and lines sanitized. Woke up yesterday morning and it was 53 so things are looking good, (NOT :mad: ). Things changed and last night a cold front was coming through and it was to get down below freezing.

The wife says everything will be ok, ya right, she doesn’t know how small those water lines are and how fast they will freeze :( . Couldn’t sleep most of the night because the furnace was running all the time which means its cold outside. So at 4:30am I get up and go outside and the birdbath is frozen, this is not good because its 27 deg. I go out and light up the furnace and the hot water tank in the trailer. I hook up the water hose from the house and start running the water off and on in both the sink and shower to get it moving. I did that until the sun came up and it got up above freezing. So this afternoon I went up to Wally World and got some more antifreeze and winterized it again, because tonight it is suppose to get down into the low 20’s. :mad:

So far this getting ready is a pain in the *&% and now this week is going to go by Sooooooooooo Sloooooow. :( But it will all be worth it this weekend when we are sitting along the river in the Smoky Mountains tipping back a few. :D There are 3 couples and trailers of use going, we all got our trailers since February and this will be our first trip out in them. I’ll get back into the shop in the morning so I can get some rest. :D

Bobby McCarley
03-22-2004, 5:45 PM
Hello Dennis,
Great looking set of pens there, Dennis. I like the two in the middle.

I was able to get some shop time in. Not as much as I like though. Turned some ring boxes for the Assoc. Retarded Citizens for their fund raiser next month. Made a few pens for the FPP. Glued up some of the RWB corian I got. I only have about four kits left out of the set Ken sent me. Saving those for Thursday. Finally got one of the TV stations coming out to do a story about the pens, will turn those then. I've gotten a few calls after the newspaper article, one guy brought me a good bit of scrap wood for blanks. Also got a call from a disabled veteran who wants to come over to see what all he needs to start turning pens so he can help out.

Rest of the weekend I had to do some chores to keep the LOML happy so I can justify getting more tools. Dug a trench to bury a wire so she can put a light on the flag pole I gave her for Christmas.

Then went to friends for bar-b-que. A great way to finish out a weekend.

Bobby McCarley

Jim Becker
03-22-2004, 5:47 PM
This was somewhat a productive weekend, although as usual, I could have gotten out of bed earlier! :rolleyes:

Friday afternoon while running some errands, I stopped by Fred's place to oogle his "most excellent" cyclone/duct installation. He did a great job...actually, an awesome job getting things set up. Friday night was DVD night and this week's selection was a movie called, Miller's Crossing, a Coen brothers film. Not bad and reasonably entertaining.

Saturday, I spent some time adapting my secondary support for the Jamison captive hollowing system to the Stubby. Since it was originally designed for the 10" swing of my previous lathe, I just had to glue and screw up some plywood to raise it up as well as extend it out. The end result is shown in the first photo below. That pic, taken on Sunday after I finished the burl piece, was taken mid-stride while turning a nice deep bowl-like thing out of some striking spalted Norway maple. (that semi-stealth "gloat" will appear at a later date in more detail) I also got the LCD TV bench sanded through 220 and oiled with BLO.

Sunday, I put a coat of shellac on the LCD TV bench to seal it and later in the day sprayed on a couple coats of PSL. I'll get the final coats on next weekend...ran out of material and had to order more last night. Of course, it's now called "USL"... The pic below shows it with the PSL on it. It will be lightly sanded to knock of any "nubs" before the final coats go on next weekend before I raise any dust in the shop.

Sunday also saw completion of the burl turning shown in a previous thread as well as the start of the bowl mentioned above. All in all...it was a nice warm weekend followed by a very chilly day today. I thought it was suppsed to be spring!!:rolleyes:

Brian Hale
03-22-2004, 5:58 PM
I turned several pieces of pine into firewood :mad:

Funny thing about CutList; it makes wonderful part lay outs even if i give it the wrong numbers...

Heading towards the corner to hide

Brian

Chris Padilla
03-22-2004, 6:14 PM
Jim, PSL???

Tyler Howell
03-22-2004, 7:11 PM
Jim,
OOO La La;)

Sparky Paessler
03-22-2004, 7:11 PM
This weekend I tried out the bandsaw that I rebuilt. I used it to cut out most of these bowl blanks. It worked great but I think I need a little bigger motor on it if I'm going to be cutting stuff this thick. All the big ones are Cherry and run 12" dia by 6 to 10" tall. There are also some Pecan, Red Gum, a Walnut and an Oak.

Joe Bourbois
03-22-2004, 8:09 PM
Put together a small lumber rack. As usual, it took way longer than I thought it would.

Dick Parr
03-22-2004, 8:12 PM
Looks good Joe, that's the same rack I made without the sheet rack at the bottom. I already had one on wheels. That's a slick design isn't it.

Jim Becker
03-22-2004, 9:41 PM
Jim, PSL???

Target Coatings (http://www.targetcoatings.com/products/coatings/oxford_spray_lacq.html)Oxford Premium Spray Lacquer...now called Oxford Ultimate Spray Lacquer. Sorry...we telcom techies get so used to acronyms that sometimes we forget to define them. I usually am pretty anal about that, but failed you miserably here! :eek:

Boyd Gathwright
03-22-2004, 11:18 PM
Hi Joe,

Like your lumber rack, looks real nice. Would like to build something similar in the future myself but on wheels. They always take longer to build then they should, especially the simpler ones. But, what’s worth building is worth putting in the time with.

Boyd :cool:

Put together a small lumber rack. As usual, it took way longer than I thought it would.

Joe Bourbois
03-23-2004, 12:38 AM
Looks good Joe, that's the same rack I made without the sheet rack at the bottom. I already had one on wheels. That's a slick design isn't it.

Thanks, Dick. It is a good design. I like that I can always add more supports if needed.

Joe Bourbois
03-23-2004, 12:39 AM
Hi Joe,

Like your lumber rack, looks real nice. Would like to build something similar in the future myself but on wheels. They always take longer to build then they should, especially the simpler ones. But, what’s worth building is worth putting in the time with.

Boyd :cool:

Thanks, Boyd. I know what you mean. I kept thinking there's got to be a shortcut, but I just plugged away and now I have nice lumber storage. I don't keep a lot on hand, so this should work out nicely.