PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Classes in Chicagoland area?

Adam Cavaliere
03-21-2008, 4:04 PM
I am looking to take some woodworking classes around the Chicagoland area. I live in Palatine, so I know of Woodcraft.
I haven't been too impressed with the options from Woodcraft. Should I be?

Thanks for the input.

Charlie Schultz
03-21-2008, 4:19 PM
Well, I used to live in Palatine. As for WC, I imagine the class quality is largely a function of the particular instructor, YMMV. The Hardwood Connection (in Sycamore) has classes during the winter, but not necessarily hands on classes. Also, one of the larger woodworking clubs meets at the Palatine WC (or at least used to), and they should be an excellent resource for such info. I wound up taking a woodturning class at the Morton Arboretum from one of their members.

J. Z. Guest
03-21-2008, 4:26 PM
You might try Harper College.

The classes at Woodcraft are to bring you into the store or to teach a very specific skill.

You could also volunteer at a cabinet shop.

Ben Martin
03-21-2008, 4:57 PM
I will pay attention to this thread. I am down in Bolingbrook and was wondering the same thing.

Adam Cavaliere
03-21-2008, 5:40 PM
Well, I used to live in Palatine. As for WC, I imagine the class quality is largely a function of the particular instructor, YMMV. The Hardwood Connection (in Sycamore) has classes during the winter, but not necessarily hands on classes. Also, one of the larger woodworking clubs meets at the Palatine WC (or at least used to), and they should be an excellent resource for such info. I wound up taking a woodturning class at the Morton Arboretum from one of their members.

I really have no interest in turning at this time and I think the club at the Woodcraft store is a turning club.

At WC it seems to be focused on specific tools for their classes. I'd rather have a pretty nice mix of a project from start to end. Hopefully someone knows of those types of classes somewhere.

Katherine Bercaw
03-21-2008, 11:11 PM
College of DuPage has some woodworking classes. I took one and was not impressed with the teacher. (He was hired as the football coach and told to teach drivers ed & shop too.) BUT they had great huge wonderfull tools you can use. 14" jointer. 24+ inch planer 36" drum sander. 2 Saw-stops plus assorted miter saws, a band saw, 36" long belt sander....

I just took Jeff Millers hand tools workshops a couple months ago. :D I'd recommend his classes to anyone. I now know how to sharpen tools plus use chisels and planes :) He was a great teacher.
http://www.furnituremaking.com/workshophome.html

Christof Grohs
03-22-2008, 10:03 AM
How far are you willing to travel for classes? If you don't mind the drive you could check out Marc Adams School in Indianapolis (http://www.marcadams.com/2008_Instructors.html)

Keith Spaniel
03-22-2008, 2:34 PM
Check the chicago park district . Its hard to find ,there are 2 places that have classes I just looked couldnt find it ,but I know its available.