PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana Wood Turners

Steven DeMars
03-21-2008, 3:59 PM
I live in south Louisiana near Baton Rouge and I am hoping to find someone that would be interested in harvesting wood for turning. I have a trailer and a "new" Stihl Chainsaw.

Problem is I don't know where to go to get wood and have no one to assist me in doing so.

Contact me if this is of interest to you, perhaps you are in a similar situation . . .

Rob Bourgeois
03-21-2008, 6:18 PM
I live also in Prairieville. Got a good wood stash I am currently working through. I am waiting for the construction on the BR loop to start then loads of wood will be available. I havent picked up anything new since 2008 started. I usually find my stuff by accident, yard trees that I see being removed. I dont know of any good spots to go cut stuff.

There is a Turning club that meets in Lafayette and another that meets in New Orleans. I think they were discussing starting one in BR. Look in the paper for the next Saturday that the Farmers market also has the craft show.( I think its the first Saturday of the month) The turning guys there are willing to talk and give you the latest info on the clubs.

PM me if you want to meet up.

Steven DeMars
03-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Only one turner from Louisiana on the SMC? :confused:

Bobby McCarley
03-23-2008, 6:52 AM
Hello Steven,
I live near Denham Springs and have been a turner for several years. I also belong to the turning club near New Orleans, The Bayou Woodturners. I get most of my wood from trees downed in storms or from friends. It's just a matter of keeping your eyes open and being in the right place at the right time.

How long have you been turning and what type of lathe do you have? I have a Jet mini and a Powermatic 3520. I'll try to turn just about anything but I like turning pens, bottlestoppers and miniature items. I have made several wedding goblets for friends and family and quite a few ornament turnings.

I'll keep an eye open for any good wood for turning and give you a holler if you like.

Bobby McCarley

Steven DeMars
03-23-2008, 9:54 PM
Thank you . . . I have a JET MINI . . . Just learning . . so far I have made some pieces of square wood round. If you ever need a spectator to watch you turn, give me call . . . message . . . e-mail . . . etc . . .

I've got my ears open listening for the sound of chainsaws and I'll start following tree service trucks . . . :p

Thank you for the wood offer also . . .

Thanks,
Steve