PDA

View Full Version : Expanding Table in Walnut

Mike Henderson
03-21-2008, 3:43 PM
Here's an expanding table that I made for a friend. She wanted a small round table that would go in her dining area (small dining area) but wanted it to be able to expand. I built this round table with two 12" leaves. The table closed is 41" in diameter.

The apron matches when the table is closed. I discussed this with her and she felt that she'd use the table closed more than open, and would probably have a table cloth on it when it was open. I discussed the possiblity of not putting apron parts on the leaves but I find that people hit their legs on the corner of the apron if the leaves don't have apron parts (to make the apron continuous).

I designed the legs "after" a picture she gave me of a table leg she liked. That leg was too "much" so I talked her into a simpler look with that long tapered section.

I'd appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Mike

Duncan Potter
03-21-2008, 3:48 PM
Very handsome table. Is it walnut?

Nice job.

Sam Yerardi
03-21-2008, 3:54 PM
Very nice work, Mike. Do the inserts each have their own matching apron section?

Mike Henderson
03-21-2008, 4:03 PM
Very nice work, Mike. Do the inserts each have their own matching apron section?
The leaves have apron parts that match if you put the leaves in, in the right order. It's hard to see in the picture with the table expanded, but you can barely see that the apron parts on the leaves match.

The table is walnut. I really like the way walnut finishes.

Mike

Alan Greene
03-21-2008, 4:42 PM
Mike,
That is a gorgeous table. I like the way the proportions look both open and closed. Do you have an idea of how many hours you invested in it.

Brent Ring
03-21-2008, 4:46 PM
Very Impressed as well! Nice work. What was the finish?

Mike Henderson
03-21-2008, 4:55 PM
Very Impressed as well! Nice work. What was the finish?
I used a wipe on poly on the legs and aprons and spray poly on the table top. The reason I used poly on the table top is for durability. An oil finish needs to be redone every so often and lacquer can be marked by a hot dish. Since she wanted a satin finish, poly worked well.

Mike

John Buzzurro
03-21-2008, 5:17 PM
Beautiful table, Mike.

Brodie Brickey
03-21-2008, 6:05 PM
Mike,

Great table.

Question: How does the owner know which order to insert the leaves? I was thinking of a couple inlay dots on the bottom of the apron so they aren't noticeable.

Example:

Mike Henderson
03-21-2008, 7:29 PM
Mike,

Great table.

Question: How does the owner know which order to insert the leaves? I was thinking of a couple inlay dots on the bottom of the apron so they aren't noticeable.

Example:
That's a good idea but I'd only have to note one side because of the pins. Maybe what I'll do is write the word "Center" on the side of the two leaves that should face the center. That way, it'll be easy for the owner to know how to put them in.

I spent a lot of time making sure that they fit well both ways in case they are put in reversed.

Thanks for pointing that out. That's a good "catch".

Mike

Bert Johansen
03-21-2008, 8:28 PM
Mike, beautifully designed and crafted. Will become a family heirloom, to be sure.

You asked for comments so here goes. I would probably use some combination of aniline dye, gel stain and/or glaze to even out the color of the top. Just my own taste, I guess. Still, it's a lovely piece and your client must be very happy. Thanks for sharing.

Mike Henderson
03-21-2008, 8:34 PM
Mike, beautifully designed and crafted. Will become a family heirloom, to be sure.

You asked for comments so here goes. I would probably use some combination of aniline dye, gel stain and/or glaze to even out the color of the top. Just my own taste, I guess. Still, it's a lovely piece and your client must be very happy. Thanks for sharing.
Bert - thanks for the comments. When you see the table in person, the differences in the color of the wood is not as apparent as it is in the picture. Sometimes the camera accentuates the colors in the picture.

There are differences in the boards, but they're pretty close (when seen in person). I also notice some blotchness in a couple of places in the picture and you can't see that in person.

Mike

Dave MacArthur
03-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Very nice job! I love walnut, and that will make a nice dining table. I actually like the pattern on the leaves, not sure if I'd call it bookmatch, but nice!

Phil Thien
03-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Gorgeous table. What did you use for hardware?

Mike Henderson
03-22-2008, 12:58 AM
Gorgeous table. What did you use for hardware?
Phil - I assume you mean the table glide hardware. I used commercial wood table glides that I had around the shop. I think I bought them from Lee Valley a couple of years ago. Long story but I was building a table at that time and after buying those glides they were too short. I bought another longer set for that table and stuck these somewhere in my shop. When this table came along, I was able to use them.

I've always wondered why the glides are marked "left" and "right". The left and right of the table depends on which end you're standing at.

Mike

Larry Fox
03-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Nice looking table Mike. I am sure that your friend is very happy with it.

Jim W. White
03-22-2008, 10:23 AM
As usual, your work is just top notch!

Beautiful table!!

Jim in Idaho

Mark Singer
03-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Mike,
Really nice work! Nice job matching the solid wood on the top!

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Lucky Friend.
With friends like you who needs furniture stores?

Robert LaPlaca
03-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Very nice work Mike, nice clean lines. I love Walnut.

gary Zimmel
03-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Beautiful looking table Mike. As always great workmanship....

Dick Bringhurst
03-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Mike, I can't add anything to what's already been said except I really like that table. Dick B.

Dave Ray
03-22-2008, 1:14 PM
Mike, well done on another exceptional piece. You really get into a project, in the sense that you think it through, both from a structural perspective and art or appealing sense. Thanks for sharing.

Jim Becker
03-22-2008, 1:32 PM
Beautiful work, Mike!

John Keeton
03-22-2008, 1:38 PM
Mike

Great table! Walnut is my favorite wood, although the dust really gives me flu like symptoms. I think as the table ages, any difference in the coloration will blend and it will take on a very cohesive look. The style and balance is great. Nothing like a walnut piece after it gets some age on it. Such warm color and you just gotta touch it!

I did a dining room table and marked the butting edge of the leaves with imprinted hash marks with a cold chisel and put corresponding marks on the table top to help in putting the leaves in right.

Mike Henderson
03-22-2008, 3:52 PM
Thanks for your comments everyone. I'll post a few notes, just in case they provide some assistance.

First, tables are pretty simple structures - but the details make a big difference. I don't do an overall drawing of a table but I do sketch the detail areas, like the legs.

One thing I found is that a round table with a square base creates an optical illusion if the table is viewed from the quarter (note that I was careful to take the pictures above dead on). Take a look at the attached picture. Note how the side closest to the viewer seems to hang out further than the other side. I think it's the curved sides that causes that look.

I originally had the table legs set in about an inch - that is, about an inch of overhang where the legs are. But the illusion was so strong when viewed from the quarter that I cut out the apron and moved the legs out further (replaced the apron with a new, longer piece). It helped a bit but the illusion is still there.

Next, I used solvent based wipe-on poly on the legs and apron and water based poly on the top. I discovered that the two give a slightly different finish color cast. The water based poly has a white to blue cast while the solvent based poly has a redish cast. If I was to do it over, I'd do the whole thing in solvent based poly and then put the water based on the table top. Otherwise, I'd used some kind of primer, maybe dewaxed shellac, under all of it to make sure the color is consistent.

The reason for poly on the top is because poly is not affected by water, alcohol or moderate heat. Lacquer will mark fairly easily with heat (like a hot dish put on the table).

The differences are small but a critical eye can see it.

Mike

Lori Kleinberg
03-22-2008, 3:57 PM
Great looking table, Mike. The walnut is beautiful and I like that the leaves have an apron. Thanks for sharing.