PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Magazine Delivery?

Al Weber
03-21-2008, 3:03 PM
I subscribed to the Woodworking magazine which being published by the same company as Popular Woodworking. But I have not received any copies although there was a message late last month (I think) saying it would be mailed the week of March 3. Has anyone subscribed to it and have you received the latest copy in the mail? Or is it time to notify the credit card company of a problem?

Bob Lang
03-21-2008, 3:20 PM
Hi Al,

There was a bit of a snafu at the corporate mailing level. Issues were mailed this Monday, and you should have your issue anytime now. Full explanation is on the weblog:

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/

If you don't have it by Monday, send an e-mail to one of the editors and we'll take care of it.

Bob Lang
aka Robert W. Lang
Senior Editor
Popular Woodworking & Woodworking Magazines

James Hart
03-21-2008, 3:28 PM
Al,

I'm glad to hear that it's an innocent mailing mistake. I've made more than my share of those.

Many years ago, it was pretty common for publishing houses to 'dry test' a magazine concept. They would market for subscriptions, then decide whether to publish based on the number of responses. It was not uncommon for the money from paid subscriptions to be the seed money to get the mag off the ground.

Needless to say, this has long been illegal ten ways until Sunday. Just gave me some flashbacks reading your post.

Just to be clear, I am NOT in any way saying this is what Chris and the folks at PW were doing, Woodworking mag is well established, as are all the people involved.

Jim

Al Weber
03-22-2008, 2:43 PM
Bob,

Thanks for the prompt reply. While I was checking the status of my subscription, I noted that my address was incorrect so I changed it. The change was made sometime late in the week so it is likely my copy went to another PO box. In the meantime, I'm going to wait things out for a few days. I live in a small rural community and mail sent to the wrong PO box often is returned to the PO for appropriate action. I had not read the blog so was not aware of the circumstances. Having been in business for myself for many years (now retired), I know how embarrassing such snafus can be. We are having a very long winter in New England and I need something to read as my shop is not heated and I'm unable to do much woodworking.

I do want to congratulate Popular Woodworking and Woodworking for publishing what I consider to be some of the best woodworking magazines available today. I've been a long time reader of most of the magazines and have not been positively impressed with recent publications of even the best magazines. Your publications are, in my opinion, of high quality with many original articles and a good balance of articles.

So thanks again and I will advise you later if my copy of Woodworking does not appear.