PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Nickle Test

Mark Kelly
03-22-2004, 8:26 AM
I was going to resaw some pecan and was changing my blade to a 1/2" etc. Anyway, before I put the new blade on, I did the nickle test. It actually worked. This is before I tested the pulley's. Since it worked, I didn't bother to remove the lower wheel to check them.

Once I put the 1/2" blade on, I did the test again...and the nickle stayed for a little bit, then fell over. Is my tensioning wrong? What could be the problem for the small vibration? These are TW blades that I am using. The blade also does ride the wheels fine.

John Miliunas
03-22-2004, 8:35 AM
Mark, just a WAG, but it almost sounds to me like there may be a slight balance issue with your upper wheel. I would still try tensioning, as well, although the 1/2" blade doesn't have the mass of larger ones and "flutter" shouldn't be that drastic if it's not tensioned quite right. Try it with the thinnest blade you have and see what happens. That way, you're helping to eliminate "flutter", but still engaging your upper wheel. Mind you, I'm NO authority on any of this, but I've played quite a bit with a saw I briefly had and got "very acquainted" with trouble-shooting methods, especially for vibration! :cool:

Mark Singer
03-22-2004, 9:03 AM
Even a slightly bad weld on the blade could create a vibration...it might not be the tension.

Mark Kelly
03-22-2004, 11:16 AM
The weld looks fine. Looks to be smooth on all sides, especially the back of the blade.

I did notice that sometimes....only sometimes, the bandsaw will vibrate a lot more when I shut it off. Does that make this more complicated??

John Miliunas
03-22-2004, 11:29 AM
The weld looks fine. Looks to be smooth on all sides, especially the back of the blade.

I did notice that sometimes....only sometimes, the bandsaw will vibrate a lot more when I shut it off. Does that make this more complicated??

Mark, regarding your last statement: I would check tension on the drive belt from the motor. Without the blade, she's running smooth, but you don't have as much load on the motor. Could be you're getting the slightest amount of slipping with the extra load. I don't know what flavor saw you're running, but the owner's manual should give you a pretty good idea as to whereabouts you should have the belt tension. Remember, if it was once "good", those guys do stretch, so you need to check every now and again. :cool:

Mark Kelly
03-22-2004, 1:15 PM
I have a new grizzly G0555 14" saw. Everything is new.

The book says the v-belt should not offset more than 3/4" inch. Mine offsets a little less than that.

John Miliunas
03-22-2004, 2:29 PM
Hmmm...3/4" seems a bit excessive for deflection of the belt, but if that's what they recommend, probably best to stick by it.

I guess I would try a different blade. If the same thing happens, then it may be a slightly out of balance wheel. Quite honestly, I'm not sure you have the machine mass, even with a well-balanced system, to pull off the nickel test from start to finish. Maybe another G0555 can chime in and let you know what their "typical" performance is. If, after all is said and done, the vibration is hampering your ability to use the saw, give Grizz a call and see if they have other recommendations and/or solutions. Good luck and keep us posted with results. :cool: