PDA

View Full Version : Thank you SMC!

Amy Leigh Baker
03-21-2008, 1:24 PM
It has occurred to me that since I have very little time for WWing (really just Sundays) that SMC has been satisfying my addiction pretty well, especially since I feel no issues while surfing at work, providing I am caught up and getting things done (I always am and always do). However, then it occurred to me that perhaps SMC was simply FUELING my addiction. Interesting. In either case, I don't really care, because it's something innocent to do for fun. I spend lots of time wishing for more money for tools, shop, and wood :)

I started to look through old posts and was flabberghasted when I clicked on "Page 501" and it was just 3 weeks ago!!!! That really shows you magnitude of the community here.

Anywho, thanks SMC for providing a great resource. And I find it refreshing that all different types of hobbies or chores are discussed here, not just Fine WW. Home remodeling, WWing, boat building, landscape drainage, etc. If I ever get around to completing the SketchUp of my back deck remodel I'll post that and pics.

Oh, and thanks for the incredible tolerance of newbies such as myself.

Amy Baker

Jim Becker
03-21-2008, 1:28 PM
Amy, this is indeed a great community and it's enriched by every member including you!

Sam Yerardi
03-21-2008, 1:53 PM
However, then it occurred to me that perhaps SMC was simply FUELING my addiction

Amy,

We all have that addiction. A stack of wood fuels my addiction. A new tool. A new technique I just learned. Hearing that someone has had the same problems I have had. Seeing the fine work that everyone here does. Wondering how something was done for years and then discover how it is really done. I could go on all day....

For me, just talking about it with someone that is interested in woodworking, etc., is like running into an old friend.

Glad you're part of the family!

Brent Ring
03-21-2008, 1:59 PM
However, then it occurred to me that perhaps SMC was simply FUELING my addiction

Glad you're part of the family!

Boy, don't we! And we are glad you are here... You seem to ask the questions I was just thinking.....

I also want to express my appreciation to the SMC crowd....great group of woodworkers..., and probably great friends as well!

Lee Koepke
03-21-2008, 10:11 PM
This place IS addicting.

I have already learned alot myself, and hope someday to contribute more knowledge as I gain experience.

J. Z. Guest
03-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Amy, I'm the same as you. I find that reading here makes me want to buy a little too much for my own good, but also that I learn a lot and can have any question answered nearly instantly.

I do have more woodworking time though. I can get in a couple hours a couple nights a week, if I want, and usually Saturday & Sunday.

Johnny Kleso
03-21-2008, 11:12 PM
it occurred to me that perhaps SMC was simply FUELING my addiction
Amy Baker

I think you hit the nail on the head, I the same way :)

"You covet what you see" is an old quote..

I keep finding reasons to buy new tool when I have not even really broken in the old ones hehehe but like you said its not a bad addiction..

Dave MacArthur
03-21-2008, 11:39 PM
LOL, same addiction-- unfortunately, the automatic webserver software finally caught up to me at work, and last month when I went to access www.sawmillcreek.org, they had restricted access :(( I'm sure based 100% on me.

David DeCristoforo
03-22-2008, 12:05 AM
I think the hardest thing about "being a woodworker" is that you mostly work in solitude. Trying to get your friends to relate to it is tough. Not like it's video games or snowboarding or (yecch) golf . So it's nice to have a "community" to participate in.

YM

Philip Duffy
03-22-2008, 5:18 AM
Amy, Hang in there with us! One day soon you willl have some time to spend in a quality way and we are all standing here to help you enjoy! Philip

Ken Fitzgerald
03-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Amy......One of the very things that I like so much about the Creek.....from beginners to pros....they are all here willing to share information and experiences.....with one common thread...the love of working wood.