PDA

View Full Version : Black Ash Burl Alert!!!

George Guadiane
03-21-2008, 11:10 AM
This MAY have been up before, but...

I received TWO emails from a guy which reads as follows:
"Hello,
I saw your website, and was wondering if you would be interested in buying some black ash burl from me? I am attaching a picture to give you an idea of what it looks like. It is one of the rarest burls in the world, and becoming more and more rare everyday due to insects and disease. If you are interested in buying some you can contact me and describe the turning you are going to do, and we will match a piece exactly to your needs. Hope to hear from you and happy turning. Tim"
After the first, I asked his location and a price for the lot. The response was a duplicate email.

Ash rang a bell, so I did a Google search and came up with the Emerald Ash Borer. It is becoming a bigger and bigger problem, so PLEASE don't buy these burls unless you know where they are from, and/or if where they are from is a part of the growing quarantine.

Notice the date of the picture, this could also be a scam

I gotta say, the burls look really tempting, but I don't need to contribute to the growing problem (and I don't want to get ripped off).

robert hainstock
03-21-2008, 11:50 AM
If you find out his location, notify the authorities. Here In Michigan we can no loger transport firewood across the bridge between lower and upper Mi. Down state the little dickens is decimating ash forests. :eek::eek::eek:
Bob

Kevin McPeek
03-21-2008, 1:32 PM
Sounds like a scam to me, if nothing else, he is a spam emailer and doesn't deserve any business anyway. Kinda like the people who leave door spam hanging on the handle or stuffed in the weather stripping.

curtis rosche
03-21-2008, 2:13 PM
send him something back saying you want some and see if you can find out where he is.

it does sound like a scam because other wise when you sent him a reply he wouldnt have sent you back the same thing

Robert McGowen
03-21-2008, 2:44 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76814&highlight=Black+Ash+Burl

Sounds like Tim and Travis might be the same person......... :rolleyes:

George Guadiane
03-21-2008, 3:22 PM
The guy got back to me and wrote the following
"Hello,

The burl will be coming from Minnesota. The price is $6.00 per lb for the frost crack free pieces, and $5.00 per lb. for the pieces with frost cracks. Possible price reduction in bulk orders (500 lbs. and up)pending on supply. Please e-mail us with your phone number if interested to know exactly what you are looking for. We also have more pieces in stock besides the pics sent. Hope to hear from you and please let us know the best time to contact you. Thanks again Tim"

SO FAR, Minnesota appears to be Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) free
Probably on the up and up, too expensive for me.
If you are interested, contact me and I will pass along the email address
George

robert hainstock
03-21-2008, 4:43 PM
So far the critters haven't got to Minnesota. But it is still against the law to bring unmilled wood into the state.of
Mich. Blackl ash is most often saught by native amwricans for basket making. Still awfuly pricey.:eek:
Bob

Ben Gastfriend
03-21-2008, 7:18 PM
Sounds dangerous, and like a scam. Don't do anything dumb, and avoid fines. If you want some burls, go with a notable supplier or someone within your state.