PDA

View Full Version : Can I resaw with boice-crane 14" band saw

Kenny King
03-21-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm considering the purchase of a 1950's era Boice-Crane band saw. It has 1 HP motor 14" throat, and 8" height capacity.

It doesn't have a fence. Does anyone know if a fence can be purchased for this saw and for how much? I'm guessing Grizzly. I'ld like to get something accurate.

Can I resaw 8" cherry with a saw like this?

I'm concerned about the wheels. It appears that they're made of bakelite or some old style plastic. Will these hold up to the stresses of a larger motor?

Any info is appreciated especially from someone who has used one of these. The OWWM web site suggests that they track well once setup correctly.

Ken

Louie George
03-21-2008, 8:30 PM
Kreg makes a nice fence that works with most 14 inch bandsaws, but not sure it if will work on this. If it helps I have a neighbor that uses one on his 16 in jet. Hope that helps.

Joseph Casbarian
06-03-2009, 4:10 PM
Just digging around for information about this saw... There is one locally pretty much for free, and wondering if it would even be worth the heavy lifting. A restoration might cost a few hundred and with those old "textolite" wheels, not sure if it would be worth it.

Thanks,
Joseph

Eric Larsen
06-03-2009, 7:07 PM
Any info is appreciated especially from someone who has used one of these. The OWWM web site suggests that they track well once setup correctly.

Ken

I dunno. Seems for the hundreds you may put into this saw to get 'er ship shape, you could find a better saw that doesn't need nearly as much work.

Simon Dupay
06-04-2009, 12:50 AM
I dunno. Seems for the hundreds you may put into this saw to get 'er ship shape, you could find a better saw that doesn't need nearly as much work.
But you will get a better saw then a new import saw. I don't think those wheels are plastic, their metal. It seems like a very well bult saw, at least take a look at it.