PDA

View Full Version : Seal coat for tinted WB Lacquer

Russell Tribby
03-21-2008, 9:29 AM
I'm going to be spraying some cabinet doors and a face frame with a tinted WB lacquer. The doors are maple and I wanted to use a seal coat in order to try and avoid blotching when I lay down the tinted lacquer. Should I just spray a coat of clear WB lacquer before I put on the tinted or is there a better option?

Larry Fox
03-21-2008, 9:50 AM
shellac is always a good option for sealing.

Jim Becker
03-21-2008, 12:59 PM
A clear coat of the same product you are using is certainly a good option...stay with the same product for best results, however.

Using de-waxed shellac is what I typically do, as it has less grain raise.

Chris Padilla
03-21-2008, 1:06 PM
Lacquer on top of lacquer will "remelt" into itself. I'm not sure it that is better (better in terms of what, I'm not sure: appearance? longevity? ??) but it is what happens.

That said, I've never had any issues with shellac (dewaxed or not) as it is the all-purpose binder of varying finishes and is a great sealer.

Russell Tribby
03-21-2008, 1:43 PM
Thanks for the replies. I went to the supply store this morning and found out that the same company (Trinity) that manufactures the WB lacquer also has a WB sealer. I decided to give that a shot. I'll post the results when I get done. Thanks again.

Tom Klass
03-21-2008, 2:01 PM
You would be better off using the wb sanding sealer than the shellac. Using water born products over shellac will some times produce a milky haze under the lacquer that will not go away. The sanding sealer is ment for your first coats a little more solids for filling in and easier to rub out for your finish coats. Tinting will go well over the sealer.
Tom

Russell Tribby
03-21-2008, 3:05 PM
Thanks Tom. That's good to know. I don't have a lot of experience with using the WB lacquer or with using a tinted version of it. I'll post some pics of the doors when they're done.

Howard Acheson
03-21-2008, 5:20 PM
>> Lacquer on top of lacquer will "remelt" into itself.

True for solvent based lacquer but not always for the waterborne acrylic lacquer the original poster is using.

Jim Becker
03-21-2008, 10:47 PM
You would be better off using the wb sanding sealer than the shellac. Using water born products over shellac will some times produce a milky haze under the lacquer that will not go away.

I have never had this happen using de-waxed shellac (Usually Zinsser SealCoat for convenience) under Target Coatings water borne finishes. And the shellac reduces grain raising considerably over a water borne product. That said, one should follow the manufacturer's recommendations for any "sealer" used under a particular finish to insure compatibility. All water borne products are acrylics, but some have special properties, such as true burn in. (Target USL is an example of that)