PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own an Omnisign Plus Pro 200 (40W)

Matt Gibb
03-21-2008, 8:40 AM
G'day,

Onmisign Plus Pro 200 (40W) Looks very similar to the rabbit HX3040.

Have had this machine for about 3 months with no great drama's. But the user "manual" for both the machine and the newlydraw software looks like it was written by a dyslexic chicken. Does anyone have a manual that might give me information about power settings etc.

Have been engraving blue, red and grey anodised aluminium. The grey and red come out awesome with a crisp white result. However the blue comes out grey. Any suggestions.

Thanks from the other side of the world.

Matt:cool:

Mike Null
03-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Take a good look at the gray. It may be that you have burned off the anodized surface and gone through to the aluminum. If so increase speed or reduce power. Not all anodized is created equal.

It could also mean that you need more power but that usually reveals itself as uneven engraving---some gray some white or some very faint.

You will will find that similar materials may need to engrave at different settings. Various colors of plastics sometimes require their own settings.

Welcome to SMC.

Rodne Gold
03-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Basically , all the laser does with anodised all is leach the dye out the anodising. I used to anodise my small ally car parts with a bucket , a battery charger , battery acid and some dye kept warm on the stove. The anodising is porous, you dip it into the dye and when it reaches the right colour , you seal it (I used to boil it)
The laser removes the sealing and vaporises the dye. For that you need very low power and high speed.
As an aside , you can actually re-dye the parts you have laser engraved by using inks and or dyes rubbed over it. similar to colour fills, however if the other anodising is NOT 100% sealed , you will get staining as well and thats almost impossible to fix. Grey , as mike said ,normally means you have overpowered it.
Unfortunately , as has been said , dyes/anodising dont all react the same with the laser.
Sometimes you can never get a crisp white cos the laser wont get rid of all the dye.

Matt Gibb
03-21-2008, 8:04 PM
Thanks guys,

looking forward to obtaining any information about laser engraving and trying some new stuff.

Mike Null
03-21-2008, 9:24 PM
Matt

There are threads on nearly every subject in our archives. Try doing several searches and chances are good you'll find what you need.